Going freelance

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to jump in. I did a similar route to cts a few years earlier. I subbed with all my kit(poles, range of saws, rigging. chipper was extra), started at £140 and ended up charging £175-£250. The going rate 4/5 years ago was £110-120 for a ticketed, experienced climber and its the same now. I had to fight to get £140 to begin with until I was known.

I doubt you will get £200 plus as a freelance climber, without putting in the work and showing a firm what you can do. I even expect you would have to work for much less to get yourself known. I found most firms already had a good climber on the books or called one in and were happy working that way. The firms you could pick up easy work with were generally ones that the other subbies were avoiding for a reason.

The best route is to find work with your own kit and sumpliment it with high paying freelance work on big jobs. The trouble is you will need to show your self to be better and quicker than all your freelance competetion to be called in for this work

yeah, i kinda get that from the thread.

i think i am just going to stay on my current , longer term, goals, finish the FdSc and go into consultancy, too risky in these hard times to start over in what is now a tough market.

I am not earning top wack as a climber, but its safe, secure.

I don't know what you're worrying about really....you seem pretty confident in your abilities looking at all your other posts, why are you concerned you wont be able to get work at the rates you want?

despite what people say, i think theres still plenty of work out there if you can stand up above your competition...are the right people are still more than happy to pay for that