Going freelance

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he's wiping your arses to save his own. How can he trust anyone to not sue him when its so easy for them to try?

It creates an added stress to running a company that involves a dangerous activity. When you get the phone call that someone that you are responsible for has hurt themselves, its pretty bloody scary. Even if you have nothin to do with it, as hucks example shows.

People should take responsibilty for their own actions as you say you would.

But unfortunatly many dont..

he's wiping your arses to save his own. How can he trust anyone to not sue him when its so easy for them to try?

It creates an added stress to running a company that involves a dangerous activity. When you get the phone call that someone that you are responsible for has hurt themselves, its pretty bloody scary. Even if you have nothin to do with it, as hucks example shows.

People should take responsibilty for their own actions as you say you would.

But unfortunatly many dont..

if ayoung lad within his first year or two got hurt on my watch i would feel responsible, but I am big enough and ugly enough to know better and to take care fo my own arse, I couldnt sleep if I took the mickey by suing somone for my own stupidity

Employed climber cheshire - take home less than 300 per week

Subby 100 - 120 pd = 5 - 600 per week

I did ten years on and off employed on various crap amounts of pay. Then four years freelance on 100 - 120.

I worked for three firms regularly, provided ms200 and climbing gear own butties and flask, and my witty cheerfull company for the day. All the firms I worked for were top people (Arbtalk viewers and members). I was on their insurance, although I don't think I pointed this out at the time.

Biggest problem with subbying is remembering how to start old husky chainsaws, how the truck opens at he back on 5 different trucks, buttons on chippers etc, I used to get quite confused, working methods too

Now I'm a one man band, coming up 2 years.

The deal is that for each step. employed, subby, own firm - I have earned more money for less work.

Edited by Albedo
last para

Employed climber cheshire - take home less than 300 per week

Subby 100 - 120 pd = 5 - 600 per week

I did ten years on and off employed on various crap amounts of pay. Then four years freelance on 100 - 120.

I worked for three firms regularly, provided ms200 and climbing gear own butties and flask, and my witty cheerfull company for the day. All the firms I worked for were top people (Arbtalk viewers and members). I was on their insurance, although I don't think I pointed this out at the time.

Biggest problem with subbying is remembering how to start old husky chainsaws, how the truck opens at he back on 5 different trucks, buttons on chippers etc, I used to get quite confused, working methods too

Now I'm a one man band, coming up 2 years.

The deal is that for each step. employed, subby, own firm - I have earned more money for less work.

sounds like i went down the same route as you , good to hear your doing well :thumbup:

With regard to insurance. The way I see it is a freelance climber is responsible for his own injury insurance and tools. The public liability/Employers liability is down to the company he subs for.

The reason I carry my own PL is because I work for the local Wildlife trust and work under my own liability - my groundies are provided by the trust and are covered by their insurance and they are under their own risk assessment. If your a freelancer and you sue a company for an accident, you'd better think about moving to another area - nobody will employ again - and rightly so.

Theres no way a freelance climber will earn as much as someone with their 'own train set', but the stress and time factors make it worthwhile for me. I'd never start up my own company in the UK again (but I'm glad I had a go all the same!)