Going freelance

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

It was a general reply to all the posts on here, on the subject of going freelance.

Not really advice, just my experience, but whatever the good and bad bits, all of it is way better than the 10 years of employment the preceeded it.

I'm not going to offer you any advice, as you are so good at everything already I expect you have companies calling you all the time to help them out because they can't cope without you?

There, is that a bit more like what you were expecting me to say?

LMAO, quality!:lol:

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I left my last employement I had 3 weeks redudancy pay to take. I spent the first week building a new shed cos I suddenly need to keep my saws and kit at home. By the end of that first week a rumour had gone round some local companies that my previous employer was in financial trouble and that I had left.

By the end of the second week I was booked up with 2 months of work, so I was suddenly a freelancer. And so it went on from there......

When I left my last employement I had 3 weeks redudancy pay to take. I spent the first week building a new shed cos I suddenly need to keep my saws and kit at home. By the end of that first week a rumour had gone round some local companies that my previous employer was in financial trouble and that I had left.

By the end of the second week I was booked up with 2 months of work, so I was suddenly a freelancer. And so it went on from there......

so you kind of fell into it as such, rather than activley set out on that path?

Din't have a lot of choice as I was unemployed, once freelancing I then set the path that I wanted to follow.

My point was that work will find you if you are the right person and can fit in with other companies and with the strong attitiudes that already exist in other compnies.

Imagine you were working in a company quite happily, then your boss tells you he's getting a freelancer in for a day to do your job and you have to ground for him? If that freelancer is a cock then that is going to be a very short workign relationship!

If the freelancer has something to offer, i.e. the existing climber feels he has learned something, or gained a drinking buddy (whatever) then alls gonna work out ok. Its the personality thing that gets you through not the climbing ability, because everybody is already the best climber that they know!

Din't have a lot of choice as I was unemployed, once freelancing I then set the path that I wanted to follow.

My point was that work will find you if you are the right person and can fit in with other companies and with the strong attitiudes that already exist in other compnies.

Imagine you were working in a company quite happily, then your boss tells you he's getting a freelancer in for a day to do your job and you have to ground for him? If that freelancer is a cock then that is going to be a very short workign relationship!

If the freelancer has something to offer, i.e. the existing climber feels he has learned something, or gained a drinking buddy (whatever) then alls gonna work out ok. Its the personality thing that gets you through not the climbing ability, because everybody is already the best climber that they know!

that about sums it up I recon

Nah, I aint the best climber i know, I know of two others that for one reson or another I would class them as better than me, Ashley grey has always earnt my respect, hes a funny fella, and slow, but he has the ethics and the patcience of a saint.

So true that.

been doin freelance for 5+ years now as well as doin my own jobs, got 5 contractors i work with its hard work but it does pay my latest contractor told me i was the best hed had in after the first day and recommened me to others, personality make up for a lot tho he jokingly said hed employ me for sheer entertainment value had him laughin that much lol.

been doin freelance for 5+ years now as well as doin my own jobs, got 5 contractors i work with its hard work but it does pay my latest contractor told me i was the best hed had in after the first day and recommened me to others, personality make up for a lot tho he jokingly said hed employ me for sheer entertainment value had him laughin that much lol.

yes thats gotta go a long way

I'm an average climber, who can get the job done, no more than that really, but I get work cos for some reason people want me to work for them instead of some other cheaper guys who have the wrong attitude.

I'm so glad you've 'come out' with that Rupe!

For months I've suffered in silence thinking that I was the only average climber on the whole of Arbtalk!