Going freelance

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i said there are grey areas, and SOME clients choose aa approved, there is ALWAYS exceptions, i was merely putting out there an observation, as in my experiance aa aproved firms seem to charge more in comparisom

only quoting one line suits YOUR purpose sky!

Edited by Tony Croft aka hamadryad

I find it very interesting that some of you guys keep mentioning insurance as a subby....it is TOTALLY irrelevant whether you are insured or not. If your name isnt at the top of the quote for the job then your insurance cannot be use, PL or EL. The person who's job it is is legally responsible for insuring everyone and thing on site. I think Lee touched on this earlier. I rergularly pay someone 150 to come in and climb with/ for me, and he is an 120 a day wages with the guy he normally works for. He has 22 years experience in the industry, and would be happy with 120 at the weekend, but given how efficient and capable he is i think he is worth what i pay him, even though i am covering insurance and (other than his climbing kit and saw) equipment costs.

Not sure what my point is here really...:confused1::blushing:

I find it very interesting that some of you guys keep mentioning insurance as a subby....it is TOTALLY irrelevant whether you are insured or not. If your name isnt at the top of the quote for the job then your insurance cannot be use, PL or EL. The person who's job it is is legally responsible for insuring everyone and thing on site. I think Lee touched on this earlier. I rergularly pay someone 150 to come in and climb with/ for me, and he is an 120 a day wages with the guy he normally works for. He has 22 years experience in the industry, and would be happy with 120 at the weekend, but given how efficient and capable he is i think he is worth what i pay him, even though i am covering insurance and (other than his climbing kit and saw) equipment costs.

Dont worry tommer I get your point!

Even so, are you not reqiured by law to have personal public liabiltiy if offering yourself for "service" i was even when i was doing photography as a freelance for another firm? i was invoicing the main contractor and they was invoicing the client, iether way YOU ARE invoicing and must be insured in my understanding?

Dont worry tommer I get your point!

Even so, are you not reqiured by law to have personal public liabiltiy if offering yourself for "service" i was even when i was doing photography as a freelance for another firm? i was invoicing the main contractor and they was invoicing the client, iether way YOU ARE invoicing and must be insured in my understanding?

If they sub the job to you, YOU go when YOU want and are in charge of the site while you are there, then yes you could be liable for any damage.

If you go onto there site and work with them at a time of their choosing, they are liable.

PL insurance is NOT and NEVER has been a legal requirement.

Its strange you've been in the industry for 22 years and don't know that.

EL is legally require.

Edited by skyhuck

i totally agree huck , i guess my problem was i could never say no to a job even the minging ones :laugh1: i think if a was freelance again i would do things totally differently but its been running my own busines thats tought me that :thumbup::thumbup:

I was contract climbing years ago for £ silly a day . Only for two guys really just climber groundie type firms . I to could not say no and hench burned myself out .The day I had my pick up sign written was my last day for any of them . I still struggle with the physical abuse on my body from the formative years of tree work . We still dont speak and this was over 15/17 years ago. I was told that I had stolen there work. When really I had been earning them both a good living ?. Going on my own has had its ups and downs . The fact you are earning the money and not lining any body elses pockets makes me smile .I do have Mistahben off here help me out from time to time . Which is good and he does lighten the load . I pay him fair and he does himself and me proud . I started with 2 weeks work on my own. Have your quality of work high and the same for customer care . Work will find you fact . Sort a budget out for advertising as its no good being a brilliant tree surgeon if know one knows about you .:thumbup:

i was even when i was doing photography as a freelance for another firm

:confused1:You are 38, have been a "big time climber 7 days a week for 22 years", so must have started "big time climbing" at 16.

Where you a freelance photographer at school???????

If they sub the job to you, YOU go when YOU want and are in charge of the site while you are there, then yes you could be liable for any damage.

If you go onto there site and work with them at a time of their choosing, they are liable.

PL insurance is NOT and NEVER has been a legal requirement.

Its strange you've been in the industry for 22 years and don't know that.

EL is legally require.

I guess I made the assumption it would be a legal reqiurment, and wrongly.

and really what is it with you and the litle digs? Its strange you've been in the industry for 22 years and don't know that.

Its been a while since ive HAD to think about all this stuff! ive had other things to think about and having worked for others for nigh on six years I havent HAD to think about anything other than getting up to go to work and coming home at the end of a day!

I find it very interesting that some of you guys keep mentioning insurance as a subby....it is TOTALLY irrelevant whether you are insured or not. If your name isnt at the top of the quote for the job then your insurance cannot be use, PL or EL. The person who's job it is is legally responsible for insuring everyone and thing on site. I think Lee touched on this earlier..

a recent court case (withing the last 3 years) found a company liable after a freelance climber was working and had an accident , several points were raised 1- whos risc assessment was he on ?? , had he provided HIS own kit to carry out the job that HE was doing ?? etc etc . the court determined that he was resposible for his own insurance as he was providing a service weather it be to a third party of not .