Going freelance

Tony Croft aka hamadryad

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what you're worrying about really....you seem pretty confident in your abilities looking at all your other posts, why are you concerned you wont be able to get work at the rates you want?

despite what people say, i think theres still plenty of work out there if you can stand up above your competition...are the right people are still more than happy to pay for that

to be honest consulting is really the direction i want to go, thers a job I have my eye on but its a long shot and a little unrealistic. I need to get by for around another three to five, finish my training and re evaluate my options then. i really would like to move into a mycological role of some sort but its a big redirect and wil take some serious investment and a lot of work.

i guess I am at a crossroads, just evaluating whats next really, but i cant continue as I am indefinatley, I just aint earning enough to learn and pay the mortgage, at least not learn at the pace i am capable of. it costs a small fortune, some of the books i want are hundreds of pounds, and seminars etc are 250 plus a wack

I'm always interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on freelancing. I've been doing treework for 15 years now, had my own company for 6 years - and yes it does hurt to let it go!. I've been working as a freelance climber now for about 8 years. The best thing about it is theres no staff to let you down or worry about, then its the fact that I spend weekends with my missus and kids doing what I want to do instead of pricing up 20 or 30 jobs:thumbup:

I fell into a trap early on with carrying too much kit, get shot of any big saws or equipment ( people will just take the p*ss).

I carry an MS200T (and spare) and I've got a 357XP and a back handle MS200. I also carry full rigging kit including a drum, this is because I prefer my own gear when working. I've got £5 million PL, PI and injury cover - insurance costing about a grand in total.

I've never been 'knocked'. I only work for companies I know and I follow the golden rule...only work for people you like!:biggrin:

With regard to rates, that varies with what company I work for. The going rate is £120 to £150 a day, occasionaly a 'peach' job will come in and you could get £250-300 but these days who can afford to shell out that for a subbie climber?. The few PJ's I do are either for friends and family or are paid well enough to justify me working on my weekend!.

If your reliable, compentant you will soon build a good reputation, thats what I would look for in hiring a subbie climber. As long as you don't put in 'prima donna' prices and you always do your best on every job you do, you should keep busy!

I'm always interested to hear what peoples thoughts are on freelancing. I've been doing treework for 15 years now, had my own company for 6 years - and yes it does hurt to let it go!. I've been working as a freelance climber now for about 8 years. The best thing about it is theres no staff to let you down or worry about, then its the fact that I spend weekends with my missus and kids doing what I want to do instead of pricing up 20 or 30 jobs:thumbup:

I fell into a trap early on with carrying too much kit, get shot of any big saws or equipment ( people will just take the p*ss).

I carry an MS200T (and spare) and I've got a 357XP and a back handle MS200. I also carry full rigging kit including a drum, this is because I prefer my own gear when working. I've got £5 million PL, PI and injury cover - insurance costing about a grand in total.

I've never been 'knocked'. I only work for companies I know and I follow the golden rule...only work for people you like!:biggrin:

With regard to rates, that varies with what company I work for. The going rate is £120 to £150 a day, occasionaly a 'peach' job will come in and you could get £250-300 but these days who can afford to shell out that for a subbie climber?. The few PJ's I do are either for friends and family or are paid well enough to justify me working on my weekend!.

If your reliable, compentant you will soon build a good reputation, thats what I would look for in hiring a subbie climber. As long as you don't put in 'prima donna' prices and you always do your best on every job you do, you should keep busy!

Sound advice, thanks. yeah the weekend losses suck, but essential part of life for me for the last 20 years! lol

:dito:

If the rate was around the 250-300 mark then it would be pointless running your own business and crew imo.

I keep fogetting the price differentials of aa approved to non approved.

Hopefully with some changes being discussed more of the smaller firms will get on the aa approved and be able to compete with the higher markets

I keep fogetting the price differentials of aa approved to non approved.

Hopefully with some changes being discussed more of the smaller firms will get on the aa approved and be able to compete with the higher markets

im not aa aproved, have no wish to be but often quote against established aa firms and get the work, not through price as the differences are not tht much but through my own professionalism and customer skills

Can of worms there I think. :001_smile:

probably!

Tis true though that certain clients will seek AA approval as a "pre requisite" to employing you, and that has obvious "differentials"

AA approved cant compete with the NON approved and vice versa, but there is always a grey bit inbetween.