srt set up

John Shutler

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jarnii, I believe Marc on here uses BD ascenders, Look like brilliant bits of kit. Drop him a line and see what he reckons!:D

Jeez how can you remember that? I can barely remember what was posted last week.

They are nice but at the end of the day they are just ascenders, what i like most about them is there comfortable grip and the way the teeth go straight out instead of point down like Petzl ascenders so they do less damage to the rope in certain situations, i also like the ease of attaching them and removing them from the rope one handed (once your used to it as mentioned here!).

What i don't like is the over engineered design and more moving parts yeah its cool only simple is sometimes better.

The worst thing! is how the cam can fail to grab sometimes it will not send you into free fall rather drop down a few feet a severe problem, for me it only happens very rarely for others often it is to do with the cantilever design and the way you hold it. Thankfully the teeth are rounded and point straight out a Petzl ascender would damage the sheath of the rope if this happened.

Here is the Srt set up I use (very occasional). Its very simple. Top is a kleimheist tied with a footlock prussik. Below is a set of kong two handed ascecnders. These are both clipped in to the same caribeener and a pantain is used on the right foot.

The kong is just used 1 handed and the other hand on the rope below to keep you up right. The Kleimheist is purely for back up. I have tried it clipping the two legs of the kleimheist in the spare cam of the ascender this makes it all very neat and keeps the prussik very close to the ascender but I decided there was no need for it and there is a slight chance that if the cam on the rope failed the cam on the two legs of prussik cord might slip and damage the cord.

You only have to unclip the sngle caribener and you are free from the system. You can then tie a knot in the rope above the kleimheist and your groundie can lower the system down.

Not as an efficient system as Johns but its very simple and still a great way to ascend. I quite like having one leg free all the time to push away from branches as you pass them.

59765531aadff_srt2.jpg.5820a198f64bbe3ddae4214ca8741d98.jpg

59765531a8936_srt1.jpg.a12b070e2580b014f3ee30ee81b5eb7b.jpg

the first few locks can be a bit hard to get due to not much surface area to grip on but after that i dont notice much difference apart from it gets easier the higher you go. saying that though its definetly easier wearing the gronells as the soft rubber rand grips the rope compared to the meindls. I mainly use this tech when i cant be arsed getting my pantin and croll out of the bag-its a nice quick and ez way to ascend as the ascender is way easier to hold than a single line. and you dont have to worry about catchin both lines with your feet of course