srt set up

John Shutler

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is no hole for a carabiner to secure the cam, your thumb holds the cam shut-it fits the hand nice and this stuff is all about weight saving,

My thinking is that this gear is designed for emergency rock/mountain climbing gear, i.e. its small and lightweight so you can carry it and not use it but its there for emergencies as apposed to our usage where lightweight/size is not really important but ability to back up and foolproof usage is important. We are effectively workign in industrial heights situations and I think our gear needs to be a bit more robust than this nice looking stuff.

Id be interested to see how you get on with it though, it all looks good!

I agree rupe, there should be a hole above the cam to stick a crab in. Went climbing last nigyt and today and ive gotta say that the handled ascender is really comfortable though you wouldnt want fat fingers as theres not much room. The compactness is something i like for when we go bush trying to track down the big kauris, etc.. every gram counts but thats not a work situation. The duck is a bit of a strange one though......... works well when placed above a petzl ascension as a back up device. Ive got a treemotion harness and i just couldnt get the duck to stay in place, it kept side loading the crab and when the rope was under tension (from the foot ascender) it didnt want to grab straight away which was a bit disconcerting-im thinking of having an elastic cord going from the hand ascender to it but going through some small tubing so it cant get sucked into the duck. early days though so we'll see.

Phenom-its setup correctly in the pic, ther is a tiny tab you open to hold the cam open for rope installation (i had to double check the pic) and its for rope dia 8-12.7mm

Just thought i'd pitch in too, i've been meaning to post for a while.

Here is my set up.

I anchor it too me using one of the Horrible ISC super safe carabiners (i bought it and didn't like it so it's used for this).

From this Krab i have my Petzl Croll and my Petzl ascender attached. The Croll Is attached directly to teh Krab and the Ascender via a 9mm tenex tec sling and a mallion.

I have a bungee tied from the top of teh croll to the ascender to pull it up.

Hanging from the mallion onthe Ascender i made a footloop whoopie sling for my left foot (not the right as in my picture) and i finish off with a Petzl pantin.

SRT.jpg

I tried the make shift inner tube chest strap and that never really worked for me. i then tried a webbing chest strap but it never really worked, both seemed to be a hassle to take off while in teh tree. i'm yet to try the bungee cord to pull the croll up but when i'm moving up i tend to keep upright pretty well.

Jamie

Jamie

Anyone know of a kong distributors in the UK been looking at getting a kong duck for a while?

im finding that the duck doesnt work too well on the treemotion harness as it flops around too much, a friend stuck it on his sequioa srt harness and it worked heaps better.