Jump to content
Tom D

Two Rope Working Consultation

Recommended Posts

Oh well .. we'll see. Can't wear a fbh cos of a badly healed collarbone injury. 

 

Anyway .. today .. reducing a very big poplar with rigging .. went ok til you have to remove one of your 2 anchor points .. now what HSE? 

 

Keep crossing the systems on the bridge and having to reset them. System doesn't lend itself to trees. 

Edited by warren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Oh well .. we'll see. Can't wear a fbh cos of a badly healed collarbone injury. 
 
Anyway .. today .. reducing a very big poplar with rigging .. went ok til you have to remove one of your 2 anchor points .. now what HSE? 
 
Keep crossing the systems on the bridge and having to reset them. System doesn't lend itself to trees. 


You using 2 bridges? That helps a lot to keep systems separated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So .. equipment manufacturers ... Are you getting this ...

 

2 bridges with further support for a fall arrester without being a full body harness for those unable to wear them...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, warren said:

So .. equipment manufacturers ... Are you getting this ...

 

2 bridges with further support for a fall arrester without being a full body harness for those unable to wear them...

your not supposed to fall in a work position harness 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeh i was being sarcastic with my comment. Their system makes a lot of sense to me but will never happen in our industry. If a level 3 had to go up a tree to inspect a L1's knots and anchor then he might as well do the job himself.


When I did my climbing course (circa 1999), and on assessment, we were expected to do a pre climb check of one another’s knots and harness, considering you should always have 2 climbers on a team it doesn’t seem too onerous to do this,

maybe if we had some sort of level 1 2 3 rules so an experienced climber is always mentoring.

Surely this would almost negate the kind of accidents regularly occurring in our industry and prevent people from just jumping in at the deep end post assessment

Also we, probably, wouldn’t be facing this ridiculous new system

When this thread started,a few weeks ago, I asked the lad we have out one day a week from college if they had started using 2 ropes and he said no...... 2 weeks later it was a yes!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, timbernut said:

 


When I did my climbing course (circa 1999), and on assessment, we were expected to do a pre climb check of one another’s knots and harness, considering you should always have 2 climbers on a team it doesn’t seem too onerous to do this,

maybe if we had some sort of level 1 2 3 rules so an experienced climber is always mentoring.

Surely this would almost negate the kind of accidents regularly occurring in our industry and prevent people from just jumping in at the deep end post assessment

Also we, probably, wouldn’t be facing this ridiculous new system

When this thread started,a few weeks ago, I asked the lad we have out one day a week from college if they had started using 2 ropes and he said no...... 2 weeks later it was a yes!
 

 

But you can't check their anchor point fully unless you are in the tree with them.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I would trust my own tied fisherman’s on a vt or prussik loop over any spliced option , there are far more accidents down to petzl or ART gear failing in my view to.


The only time I’ve had a near miss was when a bit of ivy jammed my lockjack open and I dropped 20’ (from about 40’) I managed 2 grab a passing limb which stopped me but it felt like my arm was wrenched out of socket. Was very lucky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, timbernut said:

 


The only time I’ve had a near miss was when a bit of ivy jammed my lockjack open and I dropped 20’ (from about 40’) I managed 2 grab a passing limb which stopped me but it felt like my arm was wrenched out of socket. Was very lucky

 

a backup system would have stopped that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.