Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

On 07/12/2019 at 06:33, warren said:

As a supplier and hopefully someone with more knowledge of the systems available across the irata stuff too maybe you can suggest things.????

I dont know about more knowledge but a lot of the irata gear would be near useless, read, would be so cumbersome and tiring to use in tree work that the comparisons (that the HSE are making) between tree work and rope access can be seen as ridiculous.

Last time I was climbing professionally was a bout 4-5 years ago, I only ever worked ddrt and I have never tried srt.  

What I would take from the irata side of things would be the petzl asap (the lock version)  which is used as a backup device and in the right conditions can sort of be forgotten about. The device will follow you up and down the rope, to a fashion and then lock out in the case of a fall, a bit like a car seat belt. How well it will work in the tree is another thing as its a totally different environment than the side of a building or a roof top that the HSE are comparing our work site to.

Trying to ascend on two ropes using a combination of the current tree work ascenders seems maybe not impossible but very close to say the least, well in a commercial environment anyway.

Ive spent the last two days shouting at the kids while trying to put and keep the christmas deccos up hence my poor and not as I wanted full reply, and im feeling far too festive to engage in a full anti hse rant.

7 hours ago, Mark_Skyland said:

Thanks.

Will keep a look out tomorrow and see if we have any festive items to throw in :)

Cool ? thanks. As it turns out, the asap lock was what I brought.

Edited by warren

14 hours ago, Jake Andrews said:

Yeh i was being sarcastic with my comment. Their system makes a lot of sense to me but will never happen in our industry. If a level 3 had to go up a tree to inspect a L1's knots and anchor then he might as well do the job himself.

so the biggest problem is lack of training and inexperience?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MattyF said:

So am I getting this right they are going to ban knots ? Would this count for friction hitches too ?

yep. are you competent to tie that knot? has that knot been tested to work with the rope and hitch cord combination you are using? AND do the rope manufactures approve that whole set-up?

yes there is the turtle burger CE climb, but 'they' have moved the goal posts and its impossible for any one else to do!

so the biggest problem is lack of training and inexperience?

That’s my opinion yes. Too many large companies taking on fresh college kids who are then put into a team with a kid who left college the year previous. There are so many experiences that have occurred in a tree that a college would never have taught me. Luckily I had a very good mentor to learn from and something I have aspired to be. I like teaching and watching climbers advance.

6 hours ago, warren said:

Cool ? thanks. As it turns out, the asap lock was what I brought.

:thumbup1: I will give you a call as it requires an asap sober (energy absorber) to connect to your harness.

There are two types,

Standard sorber  available in 20 or 40cm, I recommend the 40cm to keep the asap a bit more out of the way, or the sorber axess which allows rescue ie two person rescue with a max 250kg

WWW.SKYLANDEQUIPMENT.COM

<p>The ASAP’ SORBER AXESS energy absorber may only be used with the ASAP...

WWW.SKYLANDEQUIPMENT.COM

<p>The ASAP’ SORBER energy absorber may only be used with an ASAP or ASAP...

:thumbup1: I will give you a call as it requires an asap sober (energy absorber) to connect to your harness.

There are two types,
Standard sorber  available in 20 or 40cm, I recommend the 40cm to keep the asap a bit more out of the way, or the sorber axess which allows rescue ie two person rescue with a max 250kg

WWW.SKYLANDEQUIPMENT.COM

The ASAP’ SORBER AXESS energy absorber may only be used with the ASAP...  

WWW.SKYLANDEQUIPMENT.COM

The ASAP’ SORBER energy absorber may only be used with an ASAP or ASAP...  

But doesn’t the ASAP require a full body harness as it needs to be attached to a dorsal or sternal attachment?

16 minutes ago, Jake Andrews said:

But doesn’t the ASAP require a full body harness as it needs to be attached to a dorsal or sternal attachment?

That is a very good point. 

Some info from petzl about attachment points below.

https://m.petzl.com/GB/en/Professional/Choice-of-harness-attachment-point-for-the-ASAP

I will ask one of the petzl tech people but it does look like full body harness only.

• Like 1