Two Rope Working Consultation

Tom D

2 hours ago, warren said:
IRATA.ORG

Work & Safety Analysis Reports,IRATA - Live,The Leading...

Thanks for that Warren. It appears they have totally different types of work place accidents. Mainly falling objects, decent problems and rope severance. I know its obvious as they work in totally different environments than us however they have remarkably low accidents really. Will this two rope working improve our accident stats? time will tell but i assume this will take a long time to determine with many people adopting to ignore the two rope working stance.

8 minutes ago, MattyF said:

So am I getting this right they are going to ban knots ? Would this count for friction hitches too ?

eventually 

2 minutes ago, Jake Andrews said:

Thanks for that Warren. It appears they have totally different types of work place accidents. Mainly falling objects, decent problems and rope severance. I know its obvious as they work in totally different environments than us however they have remarkably low accidents really. Will this two rope working improve our accident stats? time will tell but i assume this will take a long time to determine with many people adopting to ignore the two rope working stance.

eventually 

Am I wrong but wasn't it made " wrong " to have a prusik loop that was spliced and you had to make them with a fishermans ?

haven't heard of that one @Stubby, but possibly. Thinking on it now, its quite easy for our industry to use splices for rope terminations but not so easy for rope access guys. They still use a lot of knots for anchoring................... so why aren't they falling out constantly due to poorly tied knots like we are?

3 minutes ago, Jake Andrews said:

so why aren't they falling out constantly due to poorly tied knots like we are

Prob because they have an experienced level 3 technician checking everything before they start, rather than a newby fresh out of a crash course under pressure to get the job done by an employer.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jake Andrews said:

haven't heard of that one @Stubby, but possibly. Thinking on it now, its quite easy for our industry to use splices for rope terminations but not so easy for rope access guys. They still use a lot of knots for anchoring................... so why aren't they falling out constantly due to poorly tied knots like we are?

Well yea .

9 minutes ago, htb said:

Prob because they have an experienced level 3 technician checking everything before they start, rather than a newby fresh out of a crash course under pressure to get the job done by an employer.

Yeh i was being sarcastic with my comment. Their system makes a lot of sense to me but will never happen in our industry. If a level 3 had to go up a tree to inspect a L1's knots and anchor then he might as well do the job himself.