Strimmer

trigger_andy

Well, whilst opening up myself for endless ridicule I ended up getting this;

WWW.SGS-ENGINEERING.COM

The all in one solution to getting your garden in shape, the SGS 5 in 1 multi-tool strimmer, trimmer, and brush cutter comes...

Its just to I get my main Strimmer back on-line and as others have mentioned that cant be too far away. No idea how it will hold up and if its any use what-so-ever but for £155 its worth a punt for the other odd-jobs I have around the place. 

3 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Well, whilst opening up myself for endless ridicule I ended up getting this;

WWW.SGS-ENGINEERING.COM

The all in one solution to getting your garden in shape, the SGS 5 in 1 multi-tool strimmer, trimmer, and brush cutter comes...

Its just to I get my main Strimmer back on-line and as others have mentioned that cant be too far away. No idea how it will hold up and if its any use what-so-ever but for £155 its worth a punt for the other odd-jobs I have around the place. 

I think it will serve its purpose until the Stihl is back up and running. You will probably find that it is okay with the grass head on but will not so good with the blade, the vibration will increase dramatically and the harness will probably be shit and you could end up feeling like your left collar bone has been karate chopped.

Use the harness from the Stihl and adjust it so the machine balances well. With a full tank, the grass head should just hover above the ground, the metal blade a little higher because you might want to be swatting things down.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

So my Stihl Strimmer is out of action for a while. I bought it second hand and after 3 years of good service I notice two of the bolts holding the Head onto the shaft have sheared off and another thread is partially stripped out, so there is only one bolt keeping it together. I'll get it fixed but in the mean time I was thinking of getting this machine. Will it be any good for a 1.5 acre plot? Lots of weeds and bracken out the back. 

Wold this 52cc machine be up to the task? Seems very cheap.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gps520-52cc-petrol-trimmer?utm_source=SGS+Engineering&utm_campaign=972068787a-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_09_06_Garden_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cc26f39420-972068787a-110054065&mc_cid=972068787a&mc_eid=14cdf47d71

Could you not take the head off remove the 2 sheared bolts with mole grips and the stripped out one put locktite in with it to fix it? 

Jack

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

Could you not take the head off remove the 2 sheared bolts with mole grips and the stripped out one put locktite in with it to fix it? 

Jack

They're sheared under the flush. Ive got some left hand threads and some easy outs coming in the mail. Will have a play when I back.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

They're sheared under the flush. Ive got some left hand threads and some easy outs coming in the mail. Will have a play when I back.

For a strimmer I'd highly recommend the stihl fs70 R absolutely brilliant machine more than enough power but also nice and light at the same time I've just got the titan multi tool from screw fix used the hedge trimmer 3 times then the bearings and gears all collapsed in the attachment went to screw fix and replaced it without any questions so that's handy 

Jack 

Just now, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

For a strimmer I'd highly recommend the stihl fs70 R absolutely brilliant machine more than enough power but also nice and light at the same time I've just got the titan multi tool from screw fix used the hedge trimmer 3 times then the bearings and gears all collapsed in the attachment went to screw fix and replaced it without any questions so that's handy 

Jack 

Not got a lot of cash right now. Saving all my pennies for a new Heating system for the house. Most likely a Gassifier and buffer outside as recommended by someone on here. 

My Stihl is great, just out of action. The model ID has rubbed off so I dont even know what it is, but it handles everything I throw at it.

The SGS comes with a 3 year warranty, I have a feeling it will be getting a few repeat calls. :D 

• Like 1

Just now, Macpherson said:

Once they've snapped in the hole they're not so easy out, good luck.

Aint that the truth.  :D Im hoping some homebrew penetrator (acetone and ATF4) will loosen them up and the left hand drill bit will bite and pull them out. We'll see.

Had a V8 with Spark Plugs that could not have been changed in 20 years, in alloy heads. Galvanic corrosion had set in and the only thing that budged them was the homebrew penetrator. (kinky)

• Like 1