Oak at 15%

trigger_andy

Ok, so I know I really should get air dried wood down to 8% for use in the house but Ive been tasked wioth building a Teddy Zoo for the wee one (dont ask) :D And the Oak I have is around 12-15%. I plan on milling the 50mm slabs into 50x50mm or 50x 75mm batons for the 1.5m corner uprights. Ive got Kiln Dried Oak coming but its only 800mm long so they will be the Slats and cross sections. I'll make it in the same style as the Cot I made her. 

So my question really is will the 15% Oak I have split badly if brought inside? Its a cold house anyway as its an old Farm House. 

66485509_319672368912077_6980684988425437184_n.jpg

61ONUgwHxKL._SY879_.jpg

66420402_457159961765233_6863541151291408384_n.jpg

67122621_524206638440703_3595476045861486592_n.jpg

• Like 1

Reckon itll be fine, may warp/twist a bit, but if you choose the bits you are going to use carefully itll not split and fall to bits. I've used loads of 2" slabs in the house, all air dryed outside doubt it was below 12% probably higher. Some has warped a bit, some has split slightly, but all looks good and not fallen to bits

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

So my question really is will the 15% Oak I have split badly if brought inside? Its a cold house anyway as its an old Farm House. 

I wouldn't expect so but joinery is not my thing.

I think the stack should always have a sticker flush with both ends.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I wouldn't expect so but joinery is not my thing.

I think the stack should always have a sticker flush with both ends.

Thanks. :)

Interesting comment regarding the sticks. i just made a bunch up to the same length so they can be reused later. Whats the thought behind being flush with the slabs other than aesthetics? 

Cheers Guys, much appreciated. [emoji4] I think I'll just risk it then. [emoji3] 

Im heading off-shore again soon so cutting oversize as Mr Devil suggests and letting it rest in the room for the 2-3 weeks Im away cant hurt.

Go on then.... back on ya boat sailor! ?
  • Haha 1

Thanks. [emoji4]

Interesting comment regarding the sticks. i just made a bunch up to the same length so they can be reused later. Whats the thought behind being flush with the slabs other than aesthetics? 

Support to stop warpage.
Also to reduce moisture loss from above and below the end grain, reducing splitting.

The mc of the final product is dependent on the resting place.
Farm house with no central heating 12-14% should be fine.
Underfloor heated/well insulated with central heating 7%.

I've put oak at 12/14/16% mc into a bookshop as a counter. Only 20mm thick.
It went bananas after about 2-3 months.
[emoji51]
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Thanks. :)

Apart from directing weight  equally onto each plank to restrain it the stickers control water loss and I imagine without them water is lost quicker from the ends which means  the ends become more liable to split in the early stages.

The miller on the estate where I started work would always use softwood sticks on hardwoods (and maybe vice versa) . Also I would expect to use thicker stickkers in Scotland than in Surrey as it is drier and warmer here so moisture can move out too fast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Support to stop warpage.
Also to reduce moisture loss from above and below the end grain, reducing splitting.

The mc of the final product is dependent on the resting place.
Farm house with no central heating 12-14% should be fine.
Underfloor heated/well insulated with central heating 7%.

I've put oak at 12/14/16% mc into a bookshop as a counter. Only 20mm thick.
It went bananas after about 2-3 months.
emoji51.png

Interesting.

Ive never had warpage, or issues with moisture loss causing splitting as you can see in the pic. That lots been like that for over two years, not strapped down and not well supported when the smaller log was plonked on top of the lower one but there's maybe 2-3 slabs that have cupped slightly. A 1" thick and a couple of Crown Cut Slabs. Not bad for lack of care in stickering and in a Polly Tunnel too. :D 

Hopefully 12-15% will be ok in the Bedroom. But I'll give it 2-3 weeks to stabilize as mentioned. :)