Any free Tree Surgeon, Arborist Videos about

Rhys Conway

conway i would put them books down and not read them, and just read the cs 30/31 and rear it as many times as you can, the cs 38/39 are a doddle once compared to the 30/31. dont be filling your head with knots etc when all you need to now atm is maintaince and tree felling, i no its not the real fun bitbut it has to be done.once you have PASSED your 30/31 then pick the books up and the 38 and 39 nptc schedule.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conway, I don't mean to be negative but CS tickets won't teach you anything aout tree surgery or "arboriculture". How are you going to set up on your own? Do you know every species of common trees in this country? Can you price up jobs so that you get them insteasd of the company down the road thats been doing tree work forever? And can you then do the work fast enough to make a profit and enough extra to repay your sponsor?

I know of folk setting up on their own after doing the ten week tree surgery courses and that seems crazy enough but to do it with only the cs tickets is a disaster waiting to happen, probably only a financial disaster.

The climbing tickets will only show that you can climb a tree safely, they won't actually teach you how to climb every type/size of tree or what to do once up there.

The chainsaw ticket will show you can cut things safely but it won't teach you which things to cut or why.

Get a job with a company for a year at least, then you can get the kit together during that year instead of all at once before you have any work to do.

Conway, I don't mean to be negative but CS tickets won't teach you anything aout tree surgery or "arboriculture". How are you going to set up on your own? Do you know every species of common trees in this country? Can you price up jobs so that you get them insteasd of the company down the road thats been doing tree work forever? And can you then do the work fast enough to make a profit and enough extra to repay your sponsor?

I know of folk setting up on their own after doing the ten week tree surgery courses and that seems crazy enough but to do it with only the cs tickets is a disaster waiting to happen, probably only a financial disaster.

The climbing tickets will only show that you can climb a tree safely, they won't actually teach you how to climb every type/size of tree or what to do once up there.

The chainsaw ticket will show you can cut things safely but it won't teach you which things to cut or why.

Get a job with a company for a year at least, then you can get the kit together during that year instead of all at once before you have any work to do.

I concur. best advise yet.

I concur. best advise yet.

:dito:

Please, please, get a job with a GOOD local firm.

Watch and learn from the more experienced climbersfrom your position on the ground.

It's very difficult in these times for companies to get the time to 'put you in the tree for a bit every once-in-a-while' but as long as you can get on with the other guys and they see you're keen, you will get the chance.

And by working with other pros, you'll get a better feel for the job and 'the business' and be in a better position to set up on your own effectively, efficiently and, most important, profitably.

The books you have are good but, initially, take the advice posted above and go into the exams with just the knowlege gained from your instructor. Pass the tests, get a job and then develop your own style and knot prefferences.

Wishing you the best of luck in the industry. It's not always a bed of roses but the occassional good day makes it worth while.

Oh, and keep coming back to ArbTalk, it's a mine of information freely given by like-minded professionals.

:congrats::congrats:

Hey guys am i missing something here, more than one person has asked me to read the cs 30/31, well i have payed for my course and have received a letter from myerscough telling me when i start but theres nothing included that i can read about the cs 30/31 where do i get hold of this, thanks guys.