Jump to content
Sambo

Mechanical Devices for SRT

Recommended Posts

Ok so I usually use a spiderjack 2.1 for DRT and I love it! Particularly the fact that there is absolutely no lag when you sit back into it.

So I'd like to know what the best mechanical would be for SRT to achieve the same effect? I've tried using a VT and rope wrench but want to eliminate that little drop when you sit back!

Edited by Sambo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps you could try a different friction hitch.  The braids of the VT cause it to spread out more than other hitches.

 A cheaper option to the mechanicals for SRT, are a couple hitches that are fully functional on a fixed line.

The one on the left is the Oval VT, a 4-2 VT, with an overhand knot replacing the second braid.  The other is the Sticht Hitch, a similar construction, with a tightly constrained twist replacing the overhand.  Both don’t allow the wraps to over tighten, which happens to most other hitches.

Both hitches can adjust the amount of tension in the wraps by moving the carabiner, or ring up or down. 

Firmer rope and cords work best.

The Sticht is the better due to its easier adjustability.

F7E45588-66A8-4D72-8138-2E091596983F.jpeg

Edited by Brocky
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After playing with a zigzag and chicane at the weekends arb show the ZZ is now on my shopping list to try with my ropewrench, very little sit back and way less friction than a hitch climber setup. mk3/4 are both SRT approved

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 15:45, Brocky said:

Perhaps you could try a different friction hitch.  The braids of the VT cause it to spread out more than other hitches.

 A cheaper option to the mechanicals for SRT, are a couple hitches that are fully functional on a fixed line.

The one on the left is the Oval VT, a 4-2 VT, with an overhand knot replacing the second braid.  The other is the Sticht Hitch, a similar construction, with a tightly constrained twist replacing the overhand.  Both don’t allow the wraps to over tighten, which happens to most other hitches.

Both hitches can adjust the amount of tension in the wraps by moving the carabiner, or ring up or down. 

Firmer rope and cords work best.

The Sticht is the better due to its easier adjustability.

F7E45588-66A8-4D72-8138-2E091596983F.jpeg

I like the look of these! What length eye/eye sling do you need? I've just ordered an 8mm/76cm ocean polyester eye/eye to see if that snugs up the system but I'll deffo try these cheers! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 17:32, Treetom15 said:

Tried a friends chicane & ZZ yesterday, by far the smoothest and most controlled setup I’ve used

I need to try the Zig zag again - used to have one at a place I worked at a few years ago but we ran them on 1/2" rope which didn't really work too well. Then they got taken off us as it was around the time they were having problems with the links breaking!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sambo said:

I need to try the Zig zag again - used to have one at a place I worked at a few years ago but we ran them on 1/2" rope which didn't really work too well. Then they got taken off us as it was around the time they were having problems with the links breaking!

Luckily I got to try them side by side- I’ve got the “older” ZZ and I run that with a rope wrench with an alloy tether, so it was good to compare that to the new ZZ/chicane combo. As much as it didn’t want to like it (ripping off Kevin Bingham and all) it was a bloody good setup, less friction ascending and very smooth and controlled on decent. Will definitely be investing myself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sambo said:

I like the look of these! What length eye/eye sling do you need? I've just ordered an 8mm/76cm ocean polyester eye/eye to see if that snugs up the system but I'll deffo try these cheers! 

The back view of the Sticht on the left is 8mm x 80cm on 11.7 rope, your’s should work, as long as there is enough length to adjust the ring.  The four sections of cord going through the ring need to be as close as possible to help the twist keep slack from the wraps transferring to the legs.  ISC’s small steel ring works great for this.

The Hitch on the left shows a bow shackle replacing the ring. The small accessory cord works great with a neck, or over the shoulder tender, there is very little sit back.

The short double eye straps can be used instead of a pulley for easy hand tending.

 

A6A06436-4F0E-43C8-91B3-8FFFDFC77E0F.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.