Poplar destruction

Mike Hill

I must admit he does have a rugged slightly hippy qaulity about him that i find strangely attractive, but enough of my taste in treeworkers i thought it was a valid question if not to learn more and maybe educate myself, to me it looks good given that it was an rope assited fell but thats me maybe someone can enlighten me as to why they thought the cutting was not good rather than just saying it was bad, i took the time to give my opinion on why i thought it was ok.

For the record i'd try to be a little more neat and tidy, but i'm not going to knock someone who looked like he got it done confidently and safely.

I'm not saying there is anything "wrong" with the cut. Nothing really to be learned either way, it went where it was supposed to, jobs a good un. Who cares what the cut looks like? Not me.

It does look like a dogs dinner though.

Some of my cuts are terrible, as long as the result is good then that is all that matters, but it is satifying when you cut a big tree with a big saw and the cut ends up neat and tidy. Its rewarding in strange way!

I didn't feel the need to priase him on such a great job well done when takign the p13s out of the cut was much easier.....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That felling cut speaks for itself, the gob wasn't level, he was jumping around and yanking on the saw in the vid, he didn't stop traffic, the hinge wasn't parralell, there was undercutting and finally he wouldn't have got so much critisism if he wasn't so cock sure of himself :biggrin:

The lunge pose should be used sparingly and only for the best of fells, its a bit like a pub man ordering wine

thats spot on dean...also the cuts werent horizontal/level

That felling cut speaks for itself, the gob wasn't level, he was jumping around and yanking on the saw in the vid, he didn't stop traffic, the hinge wasn't parralell, there was undercutting and finally he wouldn't have got so much critisism if he wasn't so cock sure of himself :biggrin:

The lunge pose should be used sparingly and only for the best of fells, its a bit like a pub man ordering wine

:biggrin: your way to observant Dean i didn't even notice him yanking on the saw i had noticed his back cut wasn't paralell leading to a possibly slight undercut hard to tell.

Crtisism is healthy i just like to see more of a logic and reason behind the critisism, not to just say its crap.

we dont know anything about this guy except he has long hair, if i am felling something that is always going to go in the one direction, then i dont waste time getting things 100%, get it down, when something needs to be spot on hell i will mark it with smaller saw and measure if i have to. its up to the individual, experience and skill can make a job look shabby if you look with a fine tooth comb, but the fact is the guy sunk a big saw into a big tree, and got it down, yes there was a main rd, and going by the pulling line it was there for a gesture, nothing else. It was always landing on the grass. There is a difference between perfection and OCD, you dont always have to do a text book pefect hinge, because not all trees are text book shape and form, you can if you want, but doing text book all the time is fine until you get the saw stuck because something out of the ordinary has happened and you get into trouble because you havent looked at the page that gets you out of this situation, this is why knowing your job and saw and wood and feeling the wood cut and pinch and react will always be better imo. Lets look who is posting these pics, Mike. now if any point in hte day he thought this guy was a numpty he would certainly of made a noise and sorted out the situation..

:biggrin: your way to observant Dean i didn't even notice him yanking on the saw i had noticed his back cut wasn't paralell leading to a possibly slight undercut hard to tell.

Crtisism is healthy i just like to see more of a logic and reason behind the critisism, not to just say its crap.

It's hard to convey online Marc but my critism is hopefully coming across as very light hearted :001_smile:

Neat and tidy cuts come with practice and we dont fell big trees everyday to get that practice in.

It's just the lunge pose that got me, it's a very specail pose reserved for the right picture, I have been waiting for years for the right moment to take a lunge pose picture and as yet an opportunity as not arose.

Then along comes some kiwi and takes the wind out of the lunge with some sub standard photo no where near worthy of such an acalade

I'm distraut :001_rolleyes:

we dont know anything about this guy except he has long hair, if i am felling something that is always going to go in the one direction, then i dont waste time getting things 100%, get it down, when something needs to be spot on hell i will mark it with smaller saw and measure if i have to. its up to the individual, experience and skill can make a job look shabby if you look with a fine tooth comb, but the fact is the guy sunk a big saw into a big tree, and got it down, yes there was a main rd, and going by the pulling line it was there for a gesture, nothing else. It was always landing on the grass. There is a difference between perfection and OCD, you dont always have to do a text book pefect hinge, because not all trees are text book shape and form, you can if you want, but doing text book all the time is fine until you get the saw stuck because something out of the ordinary has happened and you get into trouble because you havent looked at the page that gets you out of this situation, this is why knowing your job and saw and wood and feeling the wood cut and pinch and react will always be better imo. Lets look who is posting these pics, Mike. now if any point in hte day he thought this guy was a numpty he would certainly of made a noise and sorted out the situation..

Go back to sleep you !! :001_smile: