In days of old when woodcutters were bold

Bogieman

14 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

I remember some of the 2 stroke old bikes I had, mostly powered by Villiers engines used to have the oil measure cup built onto the bottom of the gas tank cap.....Now they were smoky.

Yes I had some of them like that, I preferred to mix my own at the petrol station rather than trust the 2t dispenser by the pump. Yes very smoky but even cars in those days would have a blue haze, especially when coming back on the sauce. Then they started fitting valve stem seals.

14 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

The lead did act as a lubricant and to prevent pre-ignition, back in the day I ran my Triumphs on 5 star at 11-1 +, don't really like fecking 2 strokes ? cheers. 

I thinned the copper gasket on the Enfield and did much the same but the star rating didn't exist then, I think Cleveland discol had the highest octane rating (not including avgas) because of the methanol??

I agree about two strokes best used only in small hand held devices nowadays.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sawchip said:

Some Danarm saws had Villiers 2 strokes on them , to run them on there side you had to rotate the back handle and that also took the carb with it to keep it upright ...float carbs .

I think the Teles I lent to an agricultural college near Liverpool and never got back was similar, the bar had 3 positions, upright, 45 degrees and horizontal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sawchip said:

Some Danarm saws had Villiers 2 strokes on them , to run them on there side you had to rotate the back handle and that also took the carb with it to keep it upright ...float carbs .

Hi, yeah I've got a Pioneer 620 stripped for restoration if I ever get round to it....rescued from a bonfire, it's previous owner wanted to see if the magnesium would burn, pretty sure it's a Villiers engine but if I remember correctly it's got a tillotson carb.

26 minutes ago, woody paul said:

My old boss bought a Allen scythe with 2stroke engine

Another Villiers engine......probably

• Like 1

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Just a small point, I believe leaded fuel was to an extent self lubricating.

I can remember one saw running through a whole tank of straight leaded before nipping up.

A couple of asides:  Outboard motors which were watercooled ran at 100:1

In my teens before I came across the first chainsaw I used, DDA110, that ran on 16:1 and this was the same oil and ratio as my Bantam and my mate's Ariel Leader. The leader was prone to nip up if you went down a long hill on overrun, hence you learned to coast. Similarly the Saabs at the time could not overrun as the transmission had a freewheel. Chainsaws don't need to overrun so possibly less need for residual lubrication??

I ran my 1966 golden arrow at 25:1 Never nipped up .

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

If you still had it would you run it at 50 on hp super ??.. nah prob Aspen

I never particularly liked 2 strokes as a rule.....but by feck me I remember these, never owned one but worked on and rode a few......MENTAL in there time....and check the price !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-H2-750-TRIPLE-1972-K-RESTORED-STUNNING-/282482309284 

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

but you were a maniac and never closed the throttle so fuel was always getting to the engine ?.

In truth nor did I but as stated I avoided  closed throttle overrun. The engine is under less load so  probably enough lubrication from the tickover setting if not revving too high.

The front forks handled bumpy corners better than my Enfield.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ratman said:

Get some pictures posted for us all if you get back to sorting it out emoji106.png love old stuff!

Think it'll be a while before I get around to it, got pics as was.. and stripped..... so relating back to last veg oil / carbon thread it's bits are looking to be the candidates for my dip tank cleaning trial, got all the stuff and got expectations...but we'll see..

Want to try it with veg oil crud but don't have any such saws.... but fortunately my neighbour's an f c with the FC ......so he might have something dirty  ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The front forks handled bumpy corners better than my Enfield.

Leading link....

I've got the best part of a 350 clipper .....guessing 49 ish , rigid but with the very earliest version of the roadholder Teles........parts might be scarce ?

29 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

If you still had it would you run it at 50 on hp super ??.. nah prob Aspen

I never particularly liked 2 strokes as a rule.....but by feck me I remember these, never owned one but worked on and rode a few......MENTAL in there time....and check the price !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-H2-750-TRIPLE-1972-K-RESTORED-STUNNING-/282482309284 

I think Mick Dohan was the master of the narrow 2 stroke power band .

• Like 1