Bit quiet this year

Topher Martyn

Same here, loads of crap floating around, people I turned away last season 'phoning up in August or even July! About out of seasoned hardwood now, had people ringing asking how much wood I have left, do they need to buy now, can I put some back for them etc...

Just goes to show if you've a quality product, word will out. Must be doing summat right!:thumbup:

Dead right, too many people out there selling crap at silly prices, give them good seasoned stuff and don't fleece them, and they'll come back.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A wood man once told me logs were ' delivering the unprofitable to the ungrateful ' luckily most customers are great to deal with but if I get an unjustified complaint ie 3 of my logs were longer than 6 inch then that comment comes to mind :lol:

This is my first year doing logs and I'm amazed at how rude some people are. Had a chap call this morning after logs, when I said I couldn't deliver till tomorrow as had other loads to complete he went right off on one and ranted about how tomorrow "just won't do!!" I was going to explain that I had other customers orders to do first but thought to myself I dont really want customers like him anyway so finished the call rather sharpish.

Anyone else finding it a bit quiet this year?

We only sell a few logs as a sideline, but last year we'd shifted about £500 by Xmas. This year less than half of that.

Has anyone else found sales sluggish this year?

Have put the price up to £5, but that is a full bag of seasoned hardwood, often delivered, and the people who have had it have not complained.

Thoughts?

This has seriously concerned me. I am thinking of logs as a sideline to work my property and I have set a target of processing 200 cube this year to start off :confused1:

I was watching an interview on TV with a christmas tree grower, he was describing how the growers market works: there is a shortage of trees (like now) and many people start growing them. Then they all reach a marketable size at the same time and so there's a glut and so prices crash and people get out of the market again.

I think logs will be the same, many of those who are just getting into the market for a fast buck will maybe be leaving it once they realise it doesn't pay.

This year will just be crap.