Today's milling

Rough Hewn

[emoji848]
You’ve got to start somewhere.
But if you’re milling 30” boards you’re at the limit of that machine.
Just be aware the safety functions may not work as intended...
(Farmertec are actually made in a cheese factory in wushu province.)
(Ok I made that last sentence up).

Sell a load of boards and buy a proper saw.
Even a £100-200 old stihl 051/070/076 etc will be great for milling and much safer.

If anyone with a farmertec wants to try milling with an 881, and see the difference.
Get in touch, we could do a short video?
[emoji106]

Mallof was an 090 man, how does that compare to the 881? Genuine question. [emoji106]

I certainly wouldn’t mind a 661 or an 881. It’s a shame husky haven’t come up with anything bigger in their stock. I suppose it’s on the cards and part of a different thread on here.

It’s about £1700 for a panther mill with the 881 from what I’ve figured. Potentially more. It’s something to work towards.

But the overriding point here is that milling is a brilliant way of using timber for something other than fire wood. [emoji106]

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AJStrees said:

Mallof was an 090 man, how does that compare to the 881? Genuine question. emoji106.png

That would be a very interesting comparison to run.

I will speculate.

Comparatively, the 881 has lower total power, lower torque and higher chain speed.

If I set up four logs side by side and squared off the edges, so they were absolutely uniform width along the length. Of those logs, I had 2off pine and 2off ash. One of each was 20" width and the other was 48" width.

If I ran the chains set up to book values on raker depth, I would expect the 881 to be faster in both the 20" logs and in the 40" pine. If I tried to push it hard in the ash it would start to bog down, so I would have to ease off to keep the cut running. It would do a nice job overall, but a bit slower. The 090 would just keep going and be faster overall in that log.

If I re-set the raker depth for each individual log, I would expect the 090 to be faster in all four, taking out huge chips in the softer wood, big chips in the 20" ash and standard chips in the 48" ash. However, if I had a mix of milling to do, I would have to keep swapping chains which would take away a lot of the advantage.

Will Malloff was mostly working with a single species so he had less variation needed.

The other thing an 090 will do is to keep chewing through the wood even when the chain isn't perfectly sharp. It is not advisable - the saw lets you know with vibration - but it will finish that last 6" of a cut to save dragging the saw back 20' much better than anything else will.

Alec

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Anyone imported anything from china since brexit. Got an item i maybe interested in but not sure on customs charges and how they calculate them

We do. It’s the shipping charges that have gone through the roof and I don’t think it’s because of brexit 

• Like 1