Unexpected rigging issue

Rough Hewn

Do you mean a bit like 4:35 in this video.  Fortunately the climber managed to flick it out.

I had one once clip into the dmm metal version of the carry tool and ended up lowering the head of a decent sized sycamore of my harness.  Turns out it was a pretty good place for a redirect.  LOL.

• Like 3

Isn't this more a work positioning issue, rather than anything else?

Mmmm Not every tree presents it self with the perfect rigging and anchor point.. some times you have to make the best out of a mess and that may involve a rigging line being too close for comfort.. as long as it’s not wrapped around your neck or getting caught on you or your gear there should be no bother.
  • Thanks 1

I think everyone of us who uses this type of saw hitch karabiner has at some point hitched more than their saw !!
But at least with the DMM Vault Lock Gate you’ve got the option to prevent such occurrences if you’re rigging in an awkward/tight position......if you remember/can be arsed to lock it......which I think I’ve probably done once !!! ?

• Like 1

The onus is on the climber here for sure. I've seen climbers with no less that four of those shiny dmm ones on their saddle!

I've got one on my left side fire hanging things and don't get too much bother as its round the back and usually locked. The ropeguide that normally hangs off it can be taken off without opening the clip. 

My saw clip up is a large caritool with the gate removed. It's been on there since I've had the harness and happily holds a 66 but would break with a decent amount of pressure

.....or you could use one of these on your saw lanyard with a bit of modification to the lanyard (or make up your own).
It allows you to then have the option to hitch your saw to your side dees, your lower Dee’s , your main attachment point (for bigger saw alleviating weight ) , your nose ring or even your Prince Albert if you get really bored waiting for your Groundsmen to notice your ropes stuck etc IMG_3258.jpg

Kong Frog Connector

22 minutes ago, Treerover said:

.....or you could use one of these on your saw lanyard with a bit of modification to the lanyard (or make up your own).
It allows you to then have the option to hitch your saw to your side dees, your lower Dee’s , your main attachment point (for bigger saw alleviating weight ) , your nose ring or even your Prince Albert if you get really bored waiting for your Groundsmen to notice your ropes stuck etc IMG_3258.jpg

Kong Frog Connector

Except they don't open wide enough for anything on the tm harness. 

49 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

The onus is on the climber here for sure. I've seen climbers with no less that four of those shiny dmm ones on their saddle!

I've got one on my left side fire hanging things and don't get too much bother as its round the back and usually locked. The ropeguide that normally hangs off it can be taken off without opening the clip. 

My saw clip up is a large caritool with the gate removed. It's been on there since I've had the harness and happily holds a 66 but would break with a decent amount of pressure

That’s exactly my set up Joe.

Ticks every box for me.

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

I think everyone of us who uses this type of saw hitch karabiner has at some point hitched more than their saw !!
But at least with the DMM Vault Lock Gate you’ve got the option to prevent such occurrences if you’re rigging in an awkward/tight position......if you remember/can be arsed to lock it......which I think I’ve probably done once !!! ?

I hear that mate.

I started a climb once after forgetting to put my harness on!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2