Portable winch recomendations

If no room then pulling with truck can be a problem, I fitted winch to truck years ago and now hardly use hand winch have even ran cable down the side of house to pull roots out in back garden.
That has been a consideration but I can think of a lot of jobs where a winch on the truck would be less than useless due to access issues whereas the portable winch can obviously be taken anywhere

If you want a portable winch and your only gonna use it once in a while to haul stuff out of streams an such then why bother paying a grand or over when you can get one for a hundred quid..  

An endless rope winch would be better..   I went through this myself a couple of months back and settled on this...

Have a Lewis winch here, not done a huge amount of work.  I took the rope off as it was fraying, was going to replace it with Dyneema but apparently that's a no no on these. Has to be steel. So comes with a new coil of 50m 4mm wire rope, you'll have to wind it on. £550 inc VAT posted, have all the adaptors to fit various saws still.

I just don't use it, I can almost always get a digger or truck with a winch to where need to pull something. Was really handy for a job pulling branches out of a river, but apart from once recovering a Transit from a muddy field that's almost all I've used it for in eight years. I tried using to pull some roots out- it worked, but a Tirfor would have been less faff to set up for two stumps.

If you want a portable winch and your only gonna use it once in a while to haul stuff out of streams an such then why bother paying a grand or over when you can get one for a hundred quid..  

An endless rope winch would be better..   I went through this myself a couple of months back and settled on this...

I've got one of these and as good as it is, it'll just take too long to haul the stuff out with it. It's a few days of pollarding large willows I've got to do with a lot of material to remove. I see what you're saying 're the cost and I considered this last time when I got the endless hope winch but as I say, there's just too much material to to be doing it by hand and still be efficient

Have a Lewis winch here, not done a huge amount of work.  I took the rope off as it was fraying, was going to replace it with Dyneema but apparently that's a no no on these. Has to be steel. So comes with a new coil of 50m 4mm wire rope, you'll have to wind it on. £550 inc VAT posted, have all the adaptors to fit various saws still.

I just don't use it, I can almost always get a digger or truck with a winch to where need to pull something. Was really handy for a job pulling branches out of a river, but apart from once recovering a Transit from a muddy field that's almost all I've used it for in eight years. I tried using to pull some roots out- it worked, but a Tirfor would have been less faff to set up for two stumps.

I can understand not fitting dynema as it would crush the drum and I'll certainly keep it in mind. Have you any pics you can send?

8 hours ago, sawman said:

i bought the Eder portable winch after a lot of deliberation and have been very impressed with its performance. I have used the PCw 5000 before but prefer the Eder.

Which model Eder do you have? Am I right in thinking the Eder1800 doesn't have an oil-bath? https://eder-powerwinch.com/en/