Trailer reversing light

woody paul

i have reverse lights on my trailer, 10 x 6.  had same problem when reversing in dark you can sort of see rear of tow vehicle but rear of trailer is totally blind so had a couple of attempts at solving it - attempt 1 was short lived and a fail, second is great.

so on rear of tow vehicle - landy i have a pair of gutter mounted led flood lights that i wired into a switch on dash so can turn on and off at any time, ignition off or live.

first attempt was as suggested a 2nd socket taped into the rear floodlight circuit but meant plugging in two cables to trailer and soon got bored of it.

so i converted to 13 pin socket on rear of landy and used reverse light feed - which isnt hooked into cars reverse so i took a supply from the flood lights.

i have a pair of same led flood lights mounted on trailer so when i turn on the flood light circuit both sets come on. rear of landy is bright as is trailer. added an in line fuse below where i tapped into set on car and made it quite a low fuse so reduces chance of melting stuff.

can do photos over weekend of both sets if anyone wants.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sheepy said:

Would be easier to add a reversing circuit onto your trailer, could still do it all of the standard plug and it would be less of a mess about for the future. 2 beer job.

Standard 13 pin plug.

Or 7n & 7s plugs.

I run older Ifor williams trailers finding it a pain backing them about in the dark how have people fitted lights to there's for reversing. Was thinking of just buying magnet lamp and just stick it on when needed. 

IMG_2699.jpg

These are what we run at rear of our bag trailers Paul, you can see they’re only small, be about 5” square thats all, they light up each corner for the lads a treat, and cos you can put that tiny bit of tilt on em with their brackets, you dont get the glare through the mirrors either.

Could you just tee off your side or fog light feed with one of these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-12V-RF-Remote-Switch-Controller-Dimmer-for-Mini-LED-Strip-Light-Panel-Wifi-FT/123147925759?_trkparms=aid%3D555017%26algo%3DPL.CASSINI%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D55148%26meid%3D253db3a2e67149a08bc4ffc28f1e71f0%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26%26itm%3D123147925759&_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226

Would need to also connect its earth, it says in the bumf that it can handle 12a.

It should work, the remote is a bit fancy though and would look bad if you were going along the road with the reversing lights doing a disco!

Hi I had the same problem I got over it by using one of the side light pins on the plug number 5 or 7.IF you put number 7 wire into number 5 pin all your side light power comes from that pin. you now have a spare pin all you now need to do is take a power feed from your gearbox reversing switch (fixed on the side of the gearbox ) to the spare pin on you 7 pin socket ,then run a wire back through your trailer to your new reversing lights and connect the wire to the number 7 pin on the plug.

chris

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, woody woodpecker said:

Hi I had the same problem I got over it by using one of the side light pins on the plug number 5 or 7.IF you put number 7 wire into number 5 pin all your side light power comes from that pin. you now have a spare pin all you now need to do is take a power feed from your gearbox reversing switch (fixed on the side of the gearbox ) to the spare pin on you 7 pin socket ,then run a wire back through your trailer to your new reversing lights and connect the wire to the number 7 pin on the plug.

chris

That's not going to work because if I put different vehicle on the front of trailer will have reversing lights on. 

On 04/12/2018 at 12:29, woody woodpecker said:

chris

Why not just do it properly & fit a 12s socket & plug or change it all for a 13 pin set?

PS take the reverse light feed from the reverse lights on the vehicle.

Most bypass relays will already have a reverse in & out connections to use.

Edited by Justme