Timber trailers... what to look at / go for?

swinny

I'm considering looking at getting a timber trailer and timber crane.

Just looking at advice on what to look at and go for?

So far I've seen some old dogs on ebay.... small farmi crane and no brakes etc.... not what I'm after.

Don't want anything massive as some of the sites I work at are crap access!

Maybe a steering drawbar will help here? I want it braked and big floatation? tyres on not the smaller agg tyres

I've sort of decided I need the biggest / best crane and grab I can afford. I don't want to mess about with something that can't pick a match stick up!

I currently use a front loader and tipping trailer to good effect. 

Just thinking it may cut down on labour on site for starters. 

Also if I was to start to bring back in 2.5m lengths and stock pile at the yard to sell on, what kind of revenue could I look to get? and up to what size dia is acceptable?

Seen some trailers on jasp wilsons sites all a lot of money on there but seem good kit!

Any info to help me appreciated!

Hard work really as its something that wouldn't get masses of use..... but is it something you'd use a lot more often once you have it? Seems a more efficient way than a front loader and tipping trailer..... 

Edited by swinny

I bought an 11 tonne KTS trailer with their 6.7m crane a few years ago and seriously wouldn’t be without it now. The rear bunk is telescopic so when closed barely extends behind rear wheels, which is great in tight sites. It has a steering drawbar (this is a godsend - don’t get anything without this feature) and is on wide flotation tyres.

Get the biggest crane you can - you’ll never wish you had less reach! Mine runs fine off the tractor’s spools (it’s a fairly modern 150hp Deutz). The cranes will drag a lot to them where they subsequently have the power to lift the timber on board. Removable bolsters are great if you want to fight big sticks on board too. 

The limiting factor with my crane is the grab - it will slip off big lumps (but holds fine with a ratchet strap around the piece). I’m talking 1.5 tonne plus pieces though - not what it is designed for to be fair! 

15 minutes ago, woody paul said:

Reach of crane is the key, my crane is a Farma 4,6 linkage mount so always carry a 3 meter sling for the odd bit I can not reach, but it trailer mount most of the time now. 

Have you considered linkage mounted and use the trailer you've got.

Draw bar wouldn't be long enough though to get both to site unless i put the crane in the trailer, also t be a pain unloading anything up against the sides?

Trailers in just now for some taller sides on for all the ugly gnarly bits to collect from site.

Edited by swinny

7 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I bought an 11 tonne KTS trailer with their 6.7m crane a few years ago and seriously wouldn’t be without it now. The rear bunk is telescopic so when closed barely extends behind rear wheels, which is great in tight sites. It has a steering drawbar (this is a godsend - don’t get anything without this feature) and is on wide flotation tyres.

Get the biggest crane you can - you’ll never wish you had less reach! Mine runs fine off the tractor’s spools (it’s a fairly modern 150hp Deutz). The cranes will drag a lot to them where they subsequently have the power to lift the timber on board. Removable bolsters are great if you want to fight big sticks on board too. 

The limiting factor with my crane is the grab - it will slip off big lumps (but holds fine with a ratchet strap around the piece). I’m talking 1.5 tonne plus pieces though - not what it is designed for to be fair! 

Yes, Im trying to see how much valuable and worthwhile timber there would be to warrant a forwarding trailer from a "tree" in the first place....

Usually get big diameter stuff..... some 4-5' dia stuff to come out and there will be quite a bit of timber there. Just trying to maximise saleable timber as not bothered about logs much anymore.

Steering drawbar sounds good. Been trying to find a video link so i can see what they are like if you have to go a sharp 90 degree into a site etc... not found owt yet.

Seen a kts one for sale recently looked ok. Whats the re sale value like further down the line? I suspect botex will keep its money better.

Not against a second hand trailer. Most seem down south! also theres some right heaps out there

If your looking at Wilson’s I take it it’s the Botex ? 8 tonne Botex with a 360 crane is ok ,the crane will Lift about a tonne close in and has a steering drawbar and braked ,the 560 crane is usually on a bigger trailer but the crane is a lot more powerful.
I’ve not had much bother with the 360 but big need cutting down to 2.5 or 2m or drag them on at 4 m and take off the bolsters , ... the bunk is 4m long.
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_6097.jpg
If your doing thinning work I would go for the 360 as it’s good in tighter spaces, if not and it’s more Arb work or big hard woods and softwoods the 560 would be a better choice

5 minutes ago, MattyF said:

If your looking at Wilson’s I take it it’s the Botex ? 8 tonne Botex with a 360 crane is ok ,the crane will Lift about a tonne close in and has a steering drawbar and braked ,the 560 crane is usually on a bigger trailer but the crane is a lot more powerful. 
I’ve not had much bother with the 360 but big need cutting down to 2.5 or 2m or drag them on at 4 m and take off the bolsters , ... the bunk is 4m long.
IMG_1408.jpg
IMG_6097.jpg
If your doing thinning work I would go for the 360 as it’s good in tighter spaces, if not and it’s more Arb work or big hard woods and softwoods the 560 would be a better choice

Its mainly arb and agg work Matty, Would like something with as decent a lift as possible.... prefer the size of an 8t trailer to be fair as saw Gray Gits old 11t botex and it seemd huge.... maybe thats just me?

Maybe the 4-5' dia stems i'd just have to do in 2-3' rings to load? would usually cut as big as i can lift with the loader for them.

Also would want as much lift / reach / power as possible for removing standing stems (to a point)

Jasp had a nice farmi trailer on but thats gone.... All the others are botex 560 and above but start 12500 plus vat and above.... 

then the odd occasional older one comes in at 10 plus vat...

Theres a nice botex 8t with 360 on ebay but sceptical about that as its been on before.... maybe it didnt sell? maybe its a scam! Either way would need it to be man enough

Steering drawbar sounds good. Been trying to find a video link so i can see what they are like if you have to go a sharp 90 degree into a site etc... not found owt yet.

Don’t bother watching a video Swinney! As has been said you will never regret getting one with steering drawbar: if the tractor will go in the trailer will follow, it means you can turn rig in a much smaller area, great for thinning and can help increase your reach a bit.
Only drawback is it can be a bit unstable on uneven ground (if slewed) with a load on so you have to take turns real slow.
Can’t really help with advice on large one as we only have a mowi 300 (behind MF 390 80hp) which is a bit light for what you want but punches well above its weight (so may be worth looking at the larger models ( think Fuelwood Warwick main dealer )
They used to be the only cranes with true parallel movement but this is probably no longer the case.

3 minutes ago, timbernut said:

Don’t bother watching a video Swinney! As has been said you will never regret getting one with steering drawbar: if the tractor will go in the trailer will follow, it means you can turn rig in a much smaller area, great for thinning and can help increase your reach a bit.
Only drawback is it can be a bit unstable on uneven ground (if slewed) with a load on so you have to take turns real slow.
Can’t really help with advice on large one as we only have a mowi 300 (behind MF 390 80hp) which is a bit light for what you want but punches well above its weight (so may be worth looking at the larger models ( think Fuelwood Warwick main dealer )
They used to be the only cranes with true parallel movement but this is probably no longer the case.

Cheers for that. This is to go behind a 399 with pavt wheels and a loader on tractor so tractor has a good base weight. DOnt want to be pulling its arse out either lol

Aye it’s a good trailer but the 360 can be lacking . I’ve moved well dragged some big bits with it , would Definitely like an upgrade but Wilson’s told me a 560 won’t go on that trailer... roof mount could be an option be again in thinning stands I’m not sure if a roof mount would be a hinderance more than benefit, as a forestry crane also it lacks some finesse.
Basically though it does what we need it for .. that’s fresh beech in the second pic and it didn’t struggle to much with any of it maybe another foot bigger at 4 it would need dragging on.