Additional insurance cover for wood burners - comments from HETAS

On 25/10/2018 at 16:29, aesmith said:

No reference in our house insurance.  They didn't ask what sort of heating, nor do they appear to have any exclusion.  Sounds like typical scaremongering to me.  HETAS drumming up business for some form of certification scheme as a money spinner?

Agreed, it now looks like they are getting their hands into plumbing.

I've a mate whose an insurance damage assessor. He's basically told me that an insurance company will do anything it possibly can to avoid paying out on a claim.

His quote "If a stove is not installed correctly, following all the regulations to the letter and there is a fire or any other damage caused as a consequence of using a stove or fireplace that doesn't conform, they won't pay out..."

On 29/10/2018 at 17:00, woodrascal said:

His quote "If a stove is not installed correctly, following all the regulations to the letter and there is a fire or any other damage caused as a consequence of using a stove or fireplace that doesn't conform, they won't pay out..."

I'll bet that's exactly the same with HETAS's pet insurance provider.  However in either case they'd either have to point to the clause in their actual insurance contract that allows them to avoid paying, or they'd have to show that the owner had been negligent to an extent that should have been self evident to any sensible person.

• Like 1

The introduction of specific insurance for stoves has been rumoured for years now but never actually come into play. I was a little surprised to see HETAS getting involved and so blatantly pointing towards one insurance company. The point about insurance companies doing as much as possible to wriggle out of paying up probably  hits the nail on the head. However, until they bring in an annual safety cert for stoves, as long as you can prove it was installed and maintained correctly, then surely this should be enough?