Staff woes, getting ready to chuck it all in

Scott95

3 hours ago, richy_B said:

You feel employees are getting it easy. Employee feels like you are making all the money without having to get involved. The grass is always greener...

I've had my own contracting business, been a subbie climber, been an employed climber and was until recently managing a contracting business. I don't understand some of the attitudes that exist at all. While I was managing a business I explained the costs of running the business to everyone, the staff knew the prices of jobs and they weren't poorly paid. If they wanted particular equipment to make life easier, I asked that they made a case themselves to show how if would make life easier, safer, improve efficiency etc and if it was valid we'd get it. As particular lads gained experience and could do more, I'd make a case to the owner for wage increases, which were usually agreed. 

Because I was timing work for them, the job sheet had a section for them to complete for the time on site - feedback for me that I was somewhere near on my times and not being unrealistic in my expectations (No-one ever filled that in, even after I explained that it wasn't a witch hunt to cause argument or recriminations)

The attitude that the business was making all the money still persisted, I didn't know what more could be done.  

• Like 5

I've had my own contracting business, been a subbie climber, been an employed climber and was until recently managing a contracting business. I don't understand some of the attitudes that exist at all. While I was managing a business I explained the costs of running the business to everyone, the staff knew the prices of jobs and they weren't poorly paid. If they wanted particular equipment to make life easier, I asked that they made a case themselves to show how if would make life easier, safer, improve efficiency etc and if it was valid we'd get it. As particular lads gained experience and could do more, I'd make a case to the owner for wage increases, which were usually agreed. 

Because I was timing work for them, the job sheet had a section for them to complete for the time on site - feedback for me that I was somewhere near on my times and not being unrealistic in my expectations (No-one ever filled that in, even after I explained that it wasn't a witch hunt to cause argument or recriminations)

The attitude that the business was making all the money still persisted, I didn't know what more could be done.  

I don’t think anything can be done. There are a lot of people who don’t want to accept that, most of the time, to make good money you have to apply yourself, work hard, and in most cases, for a long time. It’s too convenient to blame the fact that they don’t earn well on those that do and have grafted for it. If they were to accept the cold facts they would have to look at their life choices and that can be sobering. Easier to blame the boss and not have to bother with all that difficult fact based stuff.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Arboricultured said:

I don’t think anything can be done. There are a lot of people who don’t want to accept that, most of the time, to make good money you have to apply yourself, work hard, and in most cases, for a long time. It’s too convenient to blame the fact that they don’t earn well on those that do and have grafted for it. If they were to accept the cold facts they would have to look at their life choices and that can be sobering. Easier to blame the boss and not have to bother with all that difficult fact based stuff.

Welcome to arbtalk.  That's a good, if sobering, first post :thumbup:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

How many full time staff do you manage in your current job?