chainsaw working hours,

spuddog0507

Hi all what is a lot of working hours for a fully working pro saw ? reason i am asking is that i have just had a stihl ms241 in at the dealers with a starting issue that i did not have time to sort out, how ever the issue was something i would of still been looking for as it was a fuel solinoid  valve , when i went to collect the saw i was given a diagnostics report all printed out and on one page it said working hours 368.4 would you say this is a lot, average or low. the way i look at this is if it was a car sat on the motorway at 60mph for 368.4 hrs it would of covered 22,104 miles, now there is a massive difference between a 1ltr car and a 42cc chainsaw and when i looked at it this way i was fairly impressed that it was still running at all, it has been a good saw for me and had very little problems with it apart from a couple of plugs needle bearing change regular and a good clean on a regular basis and the air filter cleaned weekly, so made my decision it will have to be replaced as it wont last forever, 368.4 hrs i think is not a lot for a engine but a 42cc single cylinder engine revving its nuts out on a daily basis i suppose its a fairly large amount,

I'd love to know what the Stihl definition of "working hours 368.4 " is.

Supposing it was a actual time in use or a Tacho generated hour count like Ag plant.

Using the Ag value of 1hr-time at 1500 rpm gives  i.e. 25 revs per second.

368.4hrs = 1326240 seconds x 25 revs = 33,156,000 revs of the engine.....now that is impressive.

Alternatively 368.4hrs = 22104 minutes if you are revving the saw at an average of 1/2 it's revs for that time say 5500revs pm = 121,572,000 blimey!

If they made cars (or Bikes) I'd buy Stihl......  :-)

Its mind boggling the number of revolutions an engine will do. I just did a similar finger in the air calculation for a car engine. ...

100,000 miles in the engines life

45 miles per hr average speed ---->2222 hrs ------>133,333 minutes

2000 rpm average engine speed ------> 266,666,667 cycles

Pretty amazing you can have bits of metal rubbing against each other and survive that number of cycles. 

i find it pretty amazing that a piston the size of a egg cup can go up & down so many times per minuet at such an amazing speed, 121,572,000 revolutions is quite eye opening really for such a small bit of kit, but after picking up another lads 241 the other day i did notice a difference in power between mine and his, his is about 12 months newer same bar & chain but pick up is quicker and had more power  and sounded a lot crisper but saw will have not done any where near what mine has done. i had,nt noticed the drop in power untill the other day but i would,nt as it would be so gradual so time for a new one then ,

• Like 1

I had an ms440 for 9 years.
Used most days.
Looked after ok.
Red oil mix and pump 98.
It had 160 psi when I sold it to my chainsaw instructor.
Treat your kit well, it'll look after you.
I'm guessing 1000 hrs per year, so about 9000 hours.
Still totally kick ass.
No services.
Just quite a few bars,chains,sprockets and one needle cage.
That's why I buy stihl.
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'd say it's not even run in yet at 368 hours, you are just looking for an excuse to buy a new saw :D Lots of single cylinder motorbikes are running about with many thousands of miles on the clock, the bike analogy doesn't really work.

Edited by peatff

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

About  10% of cycles my heart has beaten

Good point, that's a pretty awesome fact too. 

72 bpm, (resting average heart rate) to 70 years old. .. ----> 2650,000,000 beats

Active person might be more although at rest heart rate probably lower than the average.....

Interesting figures.

I will try to make a note of the working hours on some of the old machines we service. I know I have seen a few 560xp's with at least 1000+ hours on them and running as new. I guess those saws will be running full throttle most of the time compared to say a top handle saw or a chipper saw.

• Like 1