ms 361

LR90

Is this saw just to look good at college? I have a NE 346xp with a 15inch bar and it will cut most things i need it to. Why on earth would you want a 25inch bar? 20 will be ample for what you need imo. Do you do alot of snedding/logging?

I know it will probably be the only saw you would ever need, but my instructor probably wouldn't have allowed me to use such a big saw when i was starting out. lol :blushing: imagine turning up to do your 30/31 with a 441? The two tree's i took down for my test were about 12-13" in size, you could have done them with your eye's shut. haha.

Stihls are easier to maintain than huskys supposedly though. I have used an MS180 with a 14inch bar and i loved it to bits. Mainly because it was my first saw, but it was as light as a feather and revved and cut amazingly well for 31cc's! lol. Also used an 025 and 250. Although not pro saws, they're ok for everyday use. A bit plasticy (is that even a word?) but not bad. 260's and 240's are both lovely saws too... The 260 is very much a college saw, it is a good allrounder for students to learn on. They have probably been thrashed and ill treated hence you thinking they're not much kop. If you bought a new one yourself and maintained it properly then i'm sure it would be a very good saw for you.

I read alot of good things about the new 346xp's, and i have mixed reviews. Don't get me wrong, the build quality is really good, but not sure if i prefer it to a stihl tbh. It's the only husky i have used, and i can't say it takes a hell of a lot more maintenance than a stihl, and it does have a lot of power... but i don't know, they're is just something about it that i am unsure of.

The 441 is very nice though. A verry modern saw, with alot of technology in it. As mentioned before, it is a saw that has been upgraded quite a few times and saws such as the 240/260's have been around for years in pretty much the same guise. I purchased an old 024AV and it is pretty much the same as the 240's now but with more metal than plastic. lol.

Go with your heart, but if you are looking at a 441 then get a smaller saw too... you never know when you may need one to get your saw out that is stuck in the cut. And don't think it won't happen because it will and when you have to get it out with a bow saw you will be staright to your local stihl dealer to purchase a 180/181. lol.

Are these the only two brands you have considered? I was seriously out cut with my 180 once by a makita 340. It made mine look silly!

Just a thought! :) good luck, keep us posted.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the stihl ms361 wiv a 16incher is perfect. its small enough to use all day every day, and its got enough balls to fell trees as bigger than the bars can handle, ive done several boring in cuts and left 3-4in square pegs in the middle! the saw didnt even struggle!! it can take a shed-load of abuse and stil work perfectly (just incase sum oik chooses to borrow it)ive had huskys that cant even manage 13in bar length logs!! the 260's at your college have probably seen better days by the sounds of it

tbh i have a 361 and really do rate it , its great to climb with and has plenty of grunt BUT after running some husky 357 xp's i am now lookiing to go over to husky's as they dont feel quite so chunky and as long as you understand that the husky works at its best flat out and does not have too much bottom end grunt and personally find them alot more comfortable to use in a tree .

my only question for you is why a 16 inch bar on your 361 ?? i would have thought that the college would not want you using anything more than a 15 inch bar in line with cs30/31 but as for the heated handles i have been told that they cut down on the risk of white finger

Ive got a 260 with a 15" bar and a 361 with a 16" bar. If im honest i'll take the 260 every time. Saying that 361 was brand new at the time, it ran like a bag of spanners for 6 months, and yes I've had it tuned and whatnot. Recently i left the 260 at home to give the 361 some use, it's loosened up a bit, fine running, it misfires bad when you start it up from cold, if you give it some it'll just cut out, after a couple of mins it's ready to use. The 260 though, 2 pulls and im away :thumbup:

Dan

Surely the fact that the sales of 346's and 357's are up by more than 50% this year speaks volumes. Oh, and checkout the price increases in Jan 2010 from both manufacturers....

and speaking to a dealer who reckons he sells stihls to huskys at a rate of 30-1 must speak volumes too :001_tt2:

dito on the smaller saw like 346xpg or 260 the 346 is what i have used of the two and have run a 20" bar on it nothing i would do every day but it pulls it fine if you are a bit gentle with it :)

open up the muffler on it and it will do it better yet !!!

If you go with husky stay away from Etech the cat muffler steals power !!!!