High-end rain jacket

Mark Bolam

38 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I hear you to an extent mate.

I’ve got a Swanndri Ranger shirt and it’s pretty comfy even when wet.

There must be something that keeps you dry with the hood up and your arms down?

I haven’t got a nice home to go back to, you see.

I have a wife and three kids.

Unfortunately the only truly waterproof kit isn't breathable at all.

So easiest option seems to be to get rid of the wife and kids! ?

• Haha 1

Seriously Mark just get a Paramo. The Alta 3 has pretty much perfect reviews these days https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/paramo-mens-alta-iii-jacket-p371213 I have the older smock which admittedly can leak a bit around the front pocket but the fabric has always been perfect. Never come home properly wet when wearing it and clearly the Atlas does not have the front pocket problem. 

Gortex is great when new but over time it just gets worn being a thin membrane thats bonded to the fabric. The waterproofing on a Paramo is something you re wash in so age should make no difference to it's effectiveness. 

Does it even rain in Kent? Thought you only got 50cm of rain a year try the best part of 2m here on Dartmoor 

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, saintsman54 said:

Unfortunately the only truly waterproof kit isn't breathable at all. Apart from Paramo

1 hour ago, Mark Bolam said:

There must be something that keeps you dry with the hood up and your arms down? Paromo 

just don't wear a non breathable cotton t-shirt underneath. Link with a breathable (paramo) type shirt and you're good to go. 

Honestly Mark, I've been on winter courses in Glen Coe where it rained all day, the instructors wore brand new Gortex jackets. At the end of the day, back at the hotel, they took their jackets and under-layers and headed off to the drying room, I took my Paramo off, shook it and headed straight for the bar :thumbup: 

7 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

just don't wear a non breathable cotton t-shirt underneath. Link with a breathable (paramo) type shirt and you're good to go. 

Honestly Mark, I've been on winter courses in Glen Coe where it rained all day, the instructors wore brand new Gortex jackets. At the end of the day, back at the hotel, they took their jackets and under-layers and headed off to the drying room, I took my Paramo off, shook it and headed straight for the bar :thumbup: 

How tough is the Paramo fabric? does it cope with thorns? 

Just now, saintsman54 said:

I haven't torn my 15-20 yr old one yet - but then again I try to avoid clambering through hawthorn generally. As a soft fabric it may be perceived as delicate, I don't think it is. The advertising used to be that it remainder waterfast even when pieced because there's no coating or membrane (like goretex), it just works different.

Yes, you can tear it on barbed wire or, at a real push thorns, but IME it holds up well to normal use and remains waterproof for years. Everyone has stuff they prefer, what I like about my paramo gear is that it just does what its designed for. It just works, keeps you dry and eventually you take it for granted that here's a jacket/trousers that does what it says on the tin. 

I've been a convert for many years. 

• Like 1

No, re the thorns. you beat me to it Gary. I only have the trousers. they are so good, so lightweight, so comfortable, so waterproof, so expensive I wouldn't let them see a thorn nevermind walk thru a brambled wood

Edited by westphalian
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, saintsman54 said:

Wouldn't have thought so but it's proved much tougher than I thought it would be for such a light feeling fabric. Apparently they do do repairs here in the UK though. I am not normally one to be such a fanboy but I am in this case

Repairs and patching from €40.00 (depending on garment & damaged area)
Replacement back panel   €55.00  
Jacket main zip replacement   €65.00  
Pocket zip replacement   €40.00  
Single side leg zip replacement on trousers   €60.00  

Shortening legwear from €65.00  
Lengthening legwear   €80.00  
Garment body alterations   €75.00  

Hood replacements made to order   €60.00  

Professional clean and re-proof service   €40.00  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1