Reduction Pruning

RC0

10 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Haha.  No one in England actually gives a toss about that ?

10 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

That is one of the main things that came up when I was in the US.  I was working in Connecticut for 2 months and the locals, who probably had never even been to NY kept bringing the “War against the Brits” up.  I really had no idea what they were talking about.

I suppose a country with such lack of history clings onto such things.

Talk about thread drift, I thought I was bad but my views are as Steve's and my experience in Massachusetts as Rich

20 hours ago, treeseer said:

And lovers gonna love.  :)

I've been to and worked in many countries, so the yank bashing does not stick.  Why do Brits hate on Americans so?  The war ended 240 years ago after all.

I can pull out a handsaw a lot faster than you can pull out a chainsaw.  Plus I do not have to drag around the dam thing.  Sure let's race--but it would be more fair if we allowed 1 second handicap for every year difference in age! lol

Plus if polesaw use is allowed it would be no contest.

But it's not quantity but quality that matters anyway.  Smaller cuts are better for the tree.

You dont make it easy Guy. Whos hating on Americans ? I have lots of American friends....and one if the best parts of that is our differences in culture. Adds a whole new dimension. Its actually something to celebrate. Beyond me why so many people want to catogorize or pretend everyone as the same.

Tell me what countries you worked in and for how long ?

As for chainsaw v handsaw....man thats a silly debate. Dont want to call you silly person but Im scratching my head at your analysis. In the most basic terms theres many good reason why chainsaws superseded handsaws in most avenues of tree work. The obvious one being efficiency. The climber fatigue argument neither holds up for any climber who is anything like accomplished. When Ive been heli logging for example....On my person Id be wearing a saddle, spurs, hardhat, radio, water bottle, 150-200 ft climbline in a backpack, gas/oil canisters, grappling hook with 25 ft line, axe and wedges....and off course a 200t. I might be stood at the bottom of a 170 ft cedar with 100 limbs to cut before I can top it. Maybe its the last tree of the day and Ive got just an hour to get it done and then run like hell down to the heli pad on a mountainside. Do you think thats a good time to break out a hand saw ? Please dont talk to me about the fatigue of simply climbing around an oak tree with a top handle chainsaw.

You might argue that you could cut though a 1inch branch with a single pass with a sharp handsaw. So if you had a fallen tree with in front of you which consisted of such branches you might reasonably cut 1 per second if you really worked hard. But in comparison a forestry worker might cut 5 per second with a chainsaw. So when your at 10 hes at 50. Unless you only have a dozen or more one inch cuts scattered aound a canopy, then more likely the same time difference will begin to emerge where the chainsaw oit produces the handsaw. Did you catch any of Erics redwood vids ? Hes not cutting big limbs, but man, could you imagine him doing that work with a handsaw. 

Im trying to be nice here...but I just dont know what your seeing on both topics that we've just hit on. But then again, that video for example has now had 6600 views. Its 10 mins long and focuses soley on the climber thoughout....all angles. Now out of those 6400 views it appears that youre the only person who believed I was wearing spurs. Which sorta throws your observational skills into question. Now you can keep arguing if you want, or maybe you might consider that if others hold a different take, experience or preference on things than your own, it doesnt automatically make them wrong or inferior somehow. Still have a feeling im wasting my breath

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You get more fatigued using a hand saw than one of those micro toppers that are now available ..I used silkys for years production climbing street trees and in domestic Arb and I just find now they aggravate tennis elbow and repetitive strain injury’s and if you have a lot of cuts even if small you feel fatigued , tbh I think you can be more dangerous with a handsaw than a chainsaw too.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, RC0 said:

Good advice. Didnt think of that at the time. Dam

10 hours ago, RC0 said:

Good advice. Didnt think of that at the time. Dam

A few years back I was living off the grid in a little yurt in the mountains outside of Taos New Mexico. I got feed up with all the bullshit that comes along with being connected to this modern world., so one winter morning I was headed down into the Rio Grande Gorge to sit in some hot springs, and I threw my computer and cell phone in the river. Spent 3 years disconnected from the evil digital world. Kinda miss those days!

(not my pic)

5072.jpg

Edited by Erik
  • Like 3