560XP hot start

Alycidon

3 hours ago, outinthewood said:

Have read through these posts and have a quick question, if the saw was used on an irregular basis was the fuel drained after use and fresh fuel used on the next bout of cutting ?

Would like to know where the 33.1 advice was originaly found ? 

From someone's Grandad probably.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, outinthewood said:

Ok, how did it come to have pin holes in the crankcase, did you ever get an answer ? I would suspect from what has been said and from ,I think a good assesment by spud, that something started to break up in the bottom end which caused the holes then the ultimate end of the saw ! The reason I ask about the fuel is that fuel left in a saw for a reasonable time will "go off" and will start to break down so when you start up next time you may be in effect starting up with a substance almost like un mixed fuel so at the most important time you are causing wear before the new mix travels around the system, I know you will most likley used the primer but the "bad " stuff is still in there doing damage ! 

It is well known the problems early 550/560 suffered and indeed talking to any dealers I frequent it was not helped by "cheap" oil and when lads started to use fully synth oil it helped a great deal. 

About four maybe five years ago I noticed in the Husqvarna catalouge that XP oil should be "used in all saws above 55cc" in my owners book for the 572 it states that XP or an equal quality oil should be used. 

My main point is "we" don't seem to know why it happened which in my book is more important than giving out about it ? I'm on my 4th 550, 2 had to be rebuilt- 2nd 560 , 1 rebuilt twice all at Husqvarnas cost with out any problem and all pre 2014 so I come from a position of having been there and done that and bought several teeshirts !!

Further developments this morning,   the crankcase is in two halves,  the gasket between the two has failed not the case itself. !!.    Husky are recommending re gaskit, new piston and rings and rebuild using old casing and service,  repair cost is a lot more reasonable so have gone for that.  The dealer wanted to put a new crankcase, piston, liner and new carb in.  Think I feel me leg being lifted a bit.        All its had is XP oil.

So not ideal but it could be worse,  probably now use it as a back up saw and or on lighter stuff.

A

2 hours ago, Alycidon said:

Further developments this morning,   the crankcase is in two halves,  the gasket between the two has failed not the case itself. !!.    Husky are recommending re gaskit, new piston and rings and rebuild using old casing and service,  repair cost is a lot more reasonable so have gone for that.  The dealer wanted to put a new crankcase, piston, liner and new carb in.  Think I feel me leg being lifted a bit.        All its had is XP oil.

So not ideal but it could be worse,  probably now use it as a back up saw and or on lighter stuff.

A

It could be that your dealer was trying to get you the upgrade crankcase with the extra bolt if your saw is one with a 5 bolt fixing. This would be one of the IPL list upgrades that are listed for 560 saws along with fuel line..hood top cooling holes..air filter holder ...to name a few 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sawchip said:

It could be that your dealer was trying to get you the upgrade crankcase with the extra bolt if your saw is one with a 5 bolt fixing. This would be one of the IPL list upgrades that are listed for 560 saws along with fuel line..hood top cooling holes..air filter holder ...to name a few 

I think the extra crank case bolt was to try and eliminate the problem of the crank case gasket being sucked in and thus letting in air .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Stubby said:

I think the extra crank case bolt was to try and eliminate the problem of the crank case gasket being sucked in and thus letting in air .

Yup..it was something Husqvarna decided needed addressing (562 as well in the US) and so was put on there dealer network IPL's as a retro fit substitute.  This is on the 2015 IPL.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 18.33.43.png

Edited by Sawchip
  • Like 1

Re. the fuel mix, I was originally made aware of the 33:1 thing by Loudoun at Burnside Garden Machinery in Kilsyth, it's also on page 18 of the user manual, as.

Mixing ratio
1:50 (2%) with HUSQVARNA two-stroke oil.
1:33 (3%) with oils class JASO FB or ISO EGB formulated 
for air-cooled, two-stroke engines.

• 3 weeks later...
On 16/08/2018 at 20:32, mucker said:

Re. the fuel mix, I was originally made aware of the 33:1 thing by Loudoun at Burnside Garden Machinery in Kilsyth, it's also on page 18 of the user manual, as.

Mixing ratio
1:50 (2%) with HUSQVARNA two-stroke oil.
1:33 (3%) with oils class JASO FB or ISO EGB formulated 
for air-cooled, two-stroke engines.

Husky will not cover warranty if not used with their synthetic two stroke oils.    My one seized in a very short time,  they blamed the 'inferior' 2 stroke mix sold to me by the dealer with the saw.  That was Sthil standard 2 stroke mix.   Took the threat of legal action to get that resloved.

Geoff

I need to replace a 353 that’s been a real reliable workhorse for some years. Not desperate but it’s starting to get a bit tired now. I was thinking a 550 xp would be it’s current equivalent?.

Im starting to get cold feet with all the adverse comments though, and the saw sounds a bit fussy. If I buy a nice shiny new one, have all problems been ironed out?- or is there another equivalent workhorse to the 353 out there that I should consider?. Thanks for any tips.

14 minutes ago, Captains log said:

I need to replace a 353 that’s been a real reliable workhorse for some years. Not desperate but it’s starting to get a bit tired now. I was thinking a 550 xp would be it’s current equivalent?.

Im starting to get cold feet with all the adverse comments though, and the saw sounds a bit fussy. If I buy a nice shiny new one, have all problems been ironed out?- or is there another equivalent workhorse to the 353 out there that I should consider?. Thanks for any tips.

I think its the 555 Same as a 560 but without the rev boost . ( 60cc ) or the 545 , same as the 550 but without the rev boost ( 50cc )

Edited by Stubby