Rustic Bench Joints Advice

Lazurus

I am making a few rustic benches at the mo, I usually use logs as the legs but fancy a change. What is the recommended joint for slab legs is it a simple rebate and glue or am I missing something. Similar to the below. any advice gratefully received.

Capture.PNG

10mm x100 or 150mm stainless coach screws. Tool station is cheap enough for them. Get stainless washers also 12mm for 10mm screws eta as you need a bigger hole to counter sink them for your socket to fit in. Or even better air tool torque wrench. Obvs pre drill the surface and meybs smaller drill I.e 6mm for 10mm screws the second. Careful not to thread them.

Ideally leave for a few weeks before capping the screws so you can get that last half turn as the green wood usually shrinks up a bit.

• Like 2

essentially just a 45 degree bit of wood to brace the legs from wobbling and making it very stable.

a similar thing was used to make porch brackets and in the workshop they were always referred to as gallows brackets because the looked similar.

Edited by se7enthdevil
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...