Wannabe Arborist

Delmonte

Hmmmm...

I cut trees,i maintain trees,im nptc qualified,ive got about 9 years experience in this industry,im passionate about my work,but im not an arborist.

I think most companies big themselves up on there website,it may be a bit of billy big time bullshit but its common practice.

In the states if you have a chainsaw,denims and spikes your an arborist...true story!

2 minutes ago, stihlmadasever said:

I think most companies big themselves up on there website,it may be a bit of billy big time bullshit but its common practice.

Lets face it, no ones going to advertise themselves as 'sub stand arborists with limited experience and qualifications'

• Like 1

If I was phoned up out of the blue by a stranger questioning my qualifications and my professionalism I’d be pissed off.

It’s just cutting and trimming trees not medical work. So what if he gives it big on the website? So do most firms.

Yeah i get that..(for the record i sent him a mail, not phoned him) but i agree that i too would get the hump either way...do you think its ok from a consumers perspective to be claiming professionalism after a couple of years work, is that time enough to build a good enough level of experience to be top of your game?

Perhaps because you come across like a busy body, (I nearly typed something else). Contacting a company, digging into their FB page/website. How about minding your own business? After all you did say their work didn't have any affect on the company you work for.

I’m not about to boil his bunny, it was more like when i saw his claims of being the leading arborist in the region, i followed the link to his FB page and when things didnt add up i thought I’d send him an email to see what the crack was

3 minutes ago, Delmonte said:

Yeah i get that..(for the record i sent him a mail, not phoned him) but i agree that i too would get the hump either way...do you think its ok from a consumers perspective to be claiming professionalism after a couple of years work, is that time enough to build a good enough level of experience to be top of your game?

What do you expect him to say.

‘We haven’t been doing it long, we’re not very good, but we’ll give it a go!’

Edited by Mick Dempsey

What do you expect him to say.  

‘We haven’t been doing it long, we’re not very good, but we’ll give it a go!’

Haha..yeah with maybe an added note that they will do there best not to drop it on the house....no there is a zone in the middle from beginner to expert...humility is not a bad trait...i didn’t expect a reply like yours but I appreciate it.

The reason I didn’t was that i thought that people who are certified and have made the effort to become so would be more protective of the title.

There is nothing wrong with minding your own business and getting it on with your thing...the world would undoubtedly be a better place for it...its like the story of the little bird who waited too long to fly south for the winter.

Hmmmm...
I cut trees,i maintain trees,im nptc qualified,ive got about 9 years experience in this industry,im passionate about my work,but im not an arborist.
In the states if you have a chainsaw,denims and spikes your an arborist...true story!

If in the U.K. its ok to give yourself the title arborist..with your level of experience couldn’t you do just that?

18 minutes ago, Delmonte said:

You would get the hump if someone meddled in your business yet you think it's ok to contact another company and meddle in their business?

Dempsey's', "get stuffed" wouldn't have come into it.

24 minutes ago, Delmonte said:

isn't the very definition of professional, someone who carries out trade for a living rather than a hobby?

• Like 1