Sharpening jigs

AHPP

5 hours ago, BishBashBosh said:

Saw properly clamped, I'll tighten the chain a little to stop it canting excessively and off you go.

I keep 4 sharp chains with me and swap when required rather than sharpen in the field, and have one "end of life beater" for cutting absolute filth when it's unavoidable.

Agree.... try not to field sharpen. I have "spares" of different degree to hand.

All sharpened on the bench.

1 hour ago, Bob_z_l said:

Agree.... try not to field sharpen. I have "spares" of different degree to hand.

All sharpened on the bench.

In the woods it used to be 3 strokes per tooth ( with a file ) every fill up .

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Granberg grinder, which I'm currently leaning towards (EDIT: apart from the guy who did...).

Edited by AHPP

1 hour ago, AHPP said:

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Granberg grinder, which I'm currently leaning towards (EDIT: apart from the guy who did...).

I mentioned it for sure....I must be the guy wot did.... for accuracy the jig is bang on , really easy to use and you can get a long chain sharpened really quick with every tooth  and guage set exactly the same just however you want them , the quality and design of the jig part is fine.... my only criticism of the Granberg device would be that the motor part is a bit slow and crude when compared to a dremmel although it works fine....but a rotary file is still a file and the diamond ones leave a super sharp edge and using one freehand is easy with a dremmel type tool.

The diamond bits are a great price here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/glostertooling

but only for dremmel type 1/8" collet fixing.... the Granberg bits screw in and  the diamond bits cost more, cheers.

Edited by Macpherson
address wrong

I mentioned it for sure....I must be the guy wot did.... for accuracy the jig is bang on , really easy to use and you can get a long chain sharpened really quick with every tooth  and guage set exactly the same just however you want them , the quality and design of the jig part is fine.... my only criticism of the Granberg device would be that the motor part is a bit slow and crude when compared to a dremmel although it works fine....but a rotary file is still a file and the diamond ones leave a super sharp edge and using one freehand is easy with a dremmel type tool.

The diamond bits are a great price here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/glostertooling
but only for dremmel type 1/8" collet fixing.... the Granberg bits screw in and  the diamond bits cost more, cheers.

You’re the guy. Is there a jig that will take a Dremel or is it either Dremel freehand or Granberg jig?

7 hours ago, AHPP said:

I tried one but sold it on. It was faff to set up and horribly noisy. The grind stones ware fast so their diameter is reducing with use. Not much quicker than a sharp file anyway IMO.

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Woodworks said:

I tried one but sold it on. It was faff to set up and horribly noisy. The grind stones ware fast so their diameter is reducing with use. Not much quicker than a sharp file anyway IMO.

Each to there own.. I agree that that motor is crude, a bit noisy and considerably slower than the dremmel, but the diamond bits are long lasting and retain there diameter, and certainly leave a very fine supersharp finish.

I don't find the Granberg jig a faff... once you get used to it ..It's really quick and easy to use, I only use it for the chains that I mill with as it's important that all the teeth and gauges are the same and at the angle of your choice is accurate which you can't really achieve by eye, over time errors accumulate. You'd soon get sick of buying files to try and sharpen the Carlton milling chain which is a good bit harder than some regular chains.

I've just noticed that  the jig has doubled in price since I got mine !!

As for the Dremmel, a small angle guide plate is available which helps you keep it in line ...if you need it, using it freehand is easy and quick.

I've a 12 volt version which runs off the fag lighter socket or a power pack but I've no problem with sharpening with a file either, and these are also available in the diamond variety which puts an end to the frustration of having to find the sharpest of all your half blunt files.  All the best.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-pcs-5-5MM-7-32-THK-Diamond-chainsaw-sharpener-files-file-Grit-46-150-300/181356605602?hash=item2a39b230a2:g:AlIAAOxyjxlTKycR

15 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Each to there own.. I agree that that motor is crude, a bit noisy and considerably slower than the dremmel, but the diamond bits are long lasting and retain there diameter, and certainly leave a very fine supersharp finish.

Sorry my post does look a bit blunt.

Yes as you say each to their own and diamond bit would have helped. 

4 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

Sorry my post does look a bit blunt.

Yes as you say each to their own and diamond bit would have helped. 

Excellent use of the pun...the diamond hand files are pretty damn good to keep in yer pocket, Cheers

• Like 1