travellers

westphalian

However, all our current capitalist systems are deeply flawed in that they absolutely rely on continual population growth, to drive economic growth, which in the short run, is unlikely,  medium run, is possibly,  but in long run, definately must fail, since such population growth simply cannot be(allowed to be) infinite.

If we are to have a Earth worth living on.

Marcus

• Like 1

Tesco / Carrefour merger looks set to put further squeeze on suppliers....  

On the one hand it will probably make supply price even tighter for ag sector, but on the positive, there is some potential that the UK consumer might copy there French counterparts and start to focus more upon picking up the fresh produce and looking at it / smelling it rather than expecting everything to be perfectly uniform, symmetrical, identical in size & shape and neatly packed in cello-foam and cling film. (Nah, can't see it) 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/tesco-carrefour-deal-lower-prices-strategic-alliance-sainsburys-asda-a8426236.html 

13 minutes ago, difflock said:

However, all our current capitalist systems are deeply flawed in that they absolutely rely on continual population growth, to drive economic growth, which in the short run, is unlikely,  medium run, is possibly,  but in long run, definately must fail, since such population growth simply cannot be(allowed to be) infinite.

If we are to have a Earth worth living on.

Marcus

This is true, however certain political systems are more flawed in this sense (reliant on population growth, consumption, etc) than others. The current UK/US system is arguably the most dependent on continuous consumption and population growth.

I don't know of any UK political party forward thinking enough to be advocating the decoupling of economic prosperity and environmental impact?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lucan said:

I am against supply side economics because I do not agree that producers are the most important element of economic growth, I believe that the consumer and their demand for goods and services far more sets the pace of economic growth in 21st C markets. Supply side economics even goes so far to suggest demand side is relatively unimportant as supply creates its own demand.

As for Regan's tax cuts, they "worked" as he brought them down from 70% to 30%, this (as your laffer curve shows) is a very different kettle of fish than bringing them down from 30% to 18%. The economic success of Bush's tax cuts was more from the low interest rate at that time than the tax cuts. As for Trump's tax cuts "working" we'll have to disagree.

I think our difference is over our definitions of "working". GDP growth should not be the only proxy for success of an economic policy. I believe that income distribution/equality should play a far larger role. From 1980-2010 GDP in America grew by 75%, however at the same time most working and middle class workers incomes' decreased. I would argue against that being an example of a economic policy "working". Reganomics or "trickle down economics" has been widely dismissed, however we still use it due to the lobbying power of our super wealthy (for whom I admit is has indeed "worked").

In the 30yrs after WW2, the UK had a form of capitalism that saw rapid growth occur whilst being "relatively" equally amongst the working, middle and elite. We (Thatcher) then swapped that for an American free market fundamentalism and our income inequality between the 1% and the rest of us skyrocketed, and our wages stagnated.

I am a capitalist, I just believe in a different form of capitalism than trickle down economics and neo-liberalism. We have been shown that we can have a different form capitalism that sees economic growth for all those who work. I don't think it's too much we ask that from our government.

Ok that's cool. Re. Trumponomics, 66% of Americans think it's working pretty well... https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/29099-latest-cbs-poll-americans-happy-with-economy

Fond memories of Carrefour's wonderful cafeteria, from our camping holidays from about 1983 through to about 2006, we camped and ate, mostly lunches, either in the Carrefour or in a Le Routier, whichever we happened across.

I was and would be adamant that the French Supermarket Cafeteria was good food*, at very keen prices, unlike our relatively miserable British supermarket offerings, which it must be said, I have never been so desperate as to actually try.

Happy days

* Good food, with wine, in a very relaxed atmosphere for us and the small/growing 2 children

1 hour ago, difflock said:

Fond memories of Carrefour's wonderful cafeteria, from our camping holidays from about 1983 through to about 2006, we camped and ate, mostly lunches, either in the Carrefour or in a Le Routier, whichever we happened across.

I was and would be adamant that the French Supermarket Cafeteria was good food*, at very keen prices, unlike our relatively miserable British supermarket offerings, which it must be said, I have never been so desperate as to actually try.

Happy days

* Good food, with wine, in a very relaxed atmosphere for us and the small/growing 2 children

Rarely a truer word!

My fondness comes from the period late 90's to mid 20's when I was frequently journeying across and down towards Royan for skydiving & surfing.  Happy days!! 

58 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Ok that's cool. Re. Trumponomics, 66% of Americans think it's working pretty well... https://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/politics/item/29099-latest-cbs-poll-americans-happy-with-economy

That might be the case then but they are less keen over his tariffs;

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-poll-americans-divided-over-tariffs-pardons-russia-probe/

Regarding tax cuts for the super wealthy, America has this unique phenomenon in which so many working class citizens support tax cuts for the richest 1%. The reason used to be that they thought it was due to a belief in trickle down economics, however recently it was found that it was for another reason. It was found that so many Americans approve of tax cuts for the richest 1% because they strongly believe that that will be them one day and want to make sure they have low taxes for when they make their millions. They believe they truly deserve to be millionaires and they've just been unlucky so far.

1 hour ago, Lucan said:

That might be the case then but they are less keen over his tariffs;

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-poll-americans-divided-over-tariffs-pardons-russia-probe/

Regarding tax cuts for the super wealthy, America has this unique phenomenon in which so many working class citizens support tax cuts for the richest 1%. The reason used to be that they thought it was due to a belief in trickle down economics, however recently it was found that it was for another reason. It was found that so many Americans approve of tax cuts for the richest 1% because they strongly believe that that will be them one day and want to make sure they have low taxes for when they make their millions. They believe they truly deserve to be millionaires and they've just been unlucky so far.

Yeah it's called fairness - "why should the wealthy be penalised for being successful?" It's part of their national ideology (half the population anyway, the other half are more or less commies). Who knows how the tarrifs will work out. Maybe if other countries hadn't slapped tarrifs on US imports years ago D.T wouldn't be giving tit for tat now...

• 5 months later...

So.. It's ten to one in the morning and I'm parked up in my yard with the guard dog in the back, waiting.. last night one of our dogs alerted to something in the direction of the yard.. upon releasing the German shepherd, grabbing a light and throwing on some footwear I ran to the yard, approx 80 mtrs, to be greeted by a gentleman bundling himself back into his Passat inches in front of karma, the gsd.
Nothing missing and I got the full reg. No worries I thought, he had a close call and won't bother us again. Wrong.5.30 pm this evening literally minutes after walking out of the yard I look out the kitchen window and think I see a red light. Released the dogs and legged it down the lane. Same car. Same story. Dog needs to run faster! Rang the gardai.. may as well have called a florist for what good it did. That said, they called out, nice individual, listened to my recollection of events, told me it was most likely a well known locally based family of known thieves and general naer do wells who, as it happens, are members of the travelling community, and advised me to put all carryable tools inside the house for the night. Yeah. 8 saws, polesaw, a world of woodworking tools, not to mention spanners sockets etc..blah blah.. So after being "advised" Not to beat, shoot, set fire to or torture in any way my intruders. I think I have an idea...
So...
Buried across the gravel drive is a plank with a row of nails.. driving over this will hopefully flatten their tyres... meanwhile I have a neighbour's loadall on hand to block the main entrance, (it's just inside the gate but virtually invisible in the dark. Just a matter of extending the boom.) just in case their tyres survive. I am going to let them get out of the car, help themselves to whatever, meanwhile moving the loadall to block their escape. ( providing they dont notice the leaking tyres, in which case i will just release the dogs and they can either get out and run or stay put and the rest of my plan goes on as planned. I plan (!) to use the mog to pin their car against the loadall, releasing the dogs to keep the intruders inside their car.. if they make a run for it ah well.. free Passat and some late night exercise for dogs.. If not I'll ratchet strap the doors shut and drag the car, with those stinking cnuts in it to the copshop myself.

• Like 12

Just put some cameras up outside and inside the workshop. If you hand over proper evidence the police and cps will actually be able to do something. Insurance will pay out if you’ve got cover. Saves anyone getting hurt and gets the scum put away.

• Haha 1