the best thing since sliced bread

Stephen Blair

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is what it is, it isnt a replacement for a dumper but what it does offer is a solution to the 'grieaf factor'

lets say you only had a digger and were a 1 man band not wanting any hassle in your life, you would need to hire in a dumper. so this involves arranging a hire, delivery and insurance. Another operator. Now in theory this is about 3 phone calls, but dealing with a numpty on a a phone can drive you nuts, delivery can be late and then your helper doesnt show and a hail storm blows in for 3 days and you are stuck with a priced job and hired kit. If you are a big concern then you wont be interested in this little toy, but it has its place, like every piece of equipement. yes a wee mini digger is slow but it is up to you as the contractor to choose which equipement suits the job. And slow is better than barrowing by hand that is for sure, i have done all these crappy jobs for years, beasting jobs as quick as i could, running instead of walking, digging by hand rather than walk 10 feet and jump in a digger, I am taking a leaf out of Ray Mears book, expell as little energy for the greatest results. Leave my little barow gizmo alone:sneaky2:, she is lovely. Saying that, i havent seen the price yet lol:biggrin:

the damage it will cause to a lawn trying to push a loaded barrow

To me thats the crux of the whole thing. If you only had to push the barrow a few metres then great, over pretty solid ground, :

You don't have to PUSH it, simply spin the cab round and PULL it :001_smile:

You don't have to PUSH it, simply spin the cab round and PULL it :001_smile:

Push or pull. i have spent hours and hours on mini diggers and they move ok so long as there is minimum resistance. Dont get me wrong, i think the barrow is great, i would just be very wary of what a mini digger is capable of in that application, esp where nice lawns are involved.:001_smile:

• 4 years later...

Nothing wrong with the Digga Bara Stephen, they are incredibly versatile and really can be a most useful bit of kit especially for owner drivers.

Personally I would simply get a dumper off e bay and cut the skip end off, keep the hydraulic tip and pipe it into the blade ram on a changeover setup with quick release couplers.

You'd end up with one at half the price with all the advantages of hydraulic tip too?

A set of turf tyres shouldn't cost the earth if something suitable came up on e bay too?

Eddie.