the best thing since sliced bread

Stephen Blair

Wow now thisis a bump!!

I've been thinking about this recently since getting another digger and Eddie your idea is excellent.

I am wanting a trailer I can take with me into jobs with the buckets and grab and tools, I'm thinking of something with 4 wheels and it's on front axle that swivels and a big handle I can either put onto the blade and tow it it just hook with the bucket or grab.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow now thisis a bump!!

I've been thinking about this recently since getting another digger and Eddie your idea is excellent.

I am wanting a trailer I can take with me into jobs with the buckets and grab and tools, I'm thinking of something with 4 wheels and it's on front axle that swivels and a big handle I can either put onto the blade and tow it it just hook with the bucket or grab.

Haha, yeah is a big bump. :laugh1:

I also think eddie's dumper conversion idea is an excellent one.

The Diga Bara looks great too & looks very well built....but is quite an outlay of £dosh, especially considering it's not very big (compared to farm trailers).

How would a trailer connect to the mini digger dozer blade?.... 50mm ball hitch??

I'd prefer a pin and eye on the trailer.

It would be 2 bits of drilled flat bar welded to the blade.

I have a hydraulic winch sitting doing nothing so a bracket made up to attach to the blade and then Eddies idea of taking flow from the blade on would work well with it.

He's got some good ideas that Lad:biggrin:

There's a thread on here, search 'small scale timber extraction'

In my experience, the digger will struggle. The load needs to be above the driven tracks/wheels to be effective. If you transfer too much weight to the blade to try to increase traction you will also be doing the track hubs no favours.

In perfect conditions, OK. But it's never perfect ay?

Think of all the times you're dragging something and loose traction, then have to anchor the blade and pull it towards you with the arm to overcome a bit of resistance before tracking again. That will the case also with the trailer.

The hydraulic winch works well, I had a similar setup on my machine. Ditched it for a capstan in the end as couldn't anchor enough for a big pull with a small digger and too slow/short for smaller stuff!

There's a thread on here, search 'small scale timber extraction'

In my experience, the digger will struggle. The load needs to be above the driven tracks/wheels to be effective. If you transfer too much weight to the blade to try to increase traction you will also be doing the track hubs no favours.

In perfect conditions, OK. But it's never perfect ay?

Think of all the times you're dragging something and loose traction, then have to anchor the blade and pull it towards you with the arm to overcome a bit of resistance before tracking again. That will the case also with the trailer.

The hydraulic winch works well, I had a similar setup on my machine. Ditched it for a capstan in the end as couldn't anchor enough for a big pull with a small digger and too slow/short for smaller stuff!

Ah, so is this why the diga bara is designed/ sized as it is?... ie, not too much weight. I'm looking to move a bit more soil around as a one man unit, without hiring anything in... not loads; something that holds about 10 full ditching buckets would save alot of running backwards and forwards. or, Do you think that's too much to expect of a 1.7tonne mini digger?

I'd prefer a pin and eye on the trailer.

It would be 2 bits of drilled flat bar welded to the blade.

I have a hydraulic winch sitting doing nothing so a bracket made up to attach to the blade and then Eddies idea of taking flow from the blade on would work well with it.

He's got some good ideas that Lad:biggrin:

I don't know about that Stephen, but what I will tell you is don't weld anything to the blade you'll forever keep catching it?

Simply make a pocket in the blade you can slip your hitch mounting through with a pin to retain it on the back.

Many options on doing this (box section, flat bar etc) but the worst case scenario is then a bit of mud you may have to clean out of the mounting hole before fitting the hitch.

With regard to towing things about, I think it's a simple case of horses for courses?

If you're off down the woods don't expect you've just come up with a solution to put a forwarder out of work, but for example if you were simply digging topsoil out of your Bara along a driveway to topsoil behind some kerbs it would quickly become your best friend?

When I visited the Maskin Expo in Sweden trailers were extremely popular for mini excavators and them boys don't mess about!

Forget hydraulic tip, they use a loop of wire rope to grab with the excavator to tip (remember they pretty much all have a tiltrotator with integral grab to do this with) , the hydraulic flow from the blade is piped through to power the steering drawbar setup!!:thumbup1:

Eddie.

Sigtuna-20120526-00555.jpg.b2456706b0dd38be20f6793892c20b94.jpg

When you say applet, do you mean a hole ?

I'm just looking for a trailer to stick my buckets, rake , grab, saw, fuel etc in it. If I'm 100m away from the van and the place is a mud fest, I don't want to have to have to keep going back and forward for it or try and carry it all with the machine.

Yes the bara would be a handy tool for the smaller jobs.

stuff!

This is why I was thinking on a trailer with 4 wheels and it's on rotating front axle, like what the horse loggers use as a forwarder.

That way I could move it about with the bucket or grab and on the handle bar I'd have a swivel eye to pop on the blade aswell.