Choosing the right size trailer.

Mark Wileman

Hi,

What trailers are people running mostly?

To start with my trailer will only be used to transport my 4 inch mini chipper/mower and for chip/log removal.

But I do want to have the ability to pickup tracked machines as and when I hire them in.

With the above in mind I was looking at twin axle, 2 tonne, 10 ft trailer?

Any larger I don't think ill warrant the use, and I want to keep the trailer small enough to make driving easier.

Edited by Mark Wileman

I run 12x6 Bryan James, will fit mini chipper and about 1.5 ton chip/logs together so keeps it to one trip for most jobs. I don't think I'd want any bigger, parking driveways, turning round etc but I have filled it up so happy it's not smaller too.
Maybe just wish it was a tipper...
What are you going to tow it with?

Thanks foe the replies

,Will be towing with a vivaro to start with, gross train 4700, leaves about 2000 for the trailer.

longer term probably a pickup, as my work vehicle is also my primary vehicle, cant afford to have two taxed/insured vehicles on the drive!

10 hours ago, woody paul said:

You will have a job beating a I for 10x5 tipper.

Spot on, I sold mine last year to buy a hilux I really wanted. I regret it every week, not that I regret buying the hilux! 

I have done about 10 ton of conifer chip and logs this week and have never missed a bit of kit so much. 

I had the high sides and could happily fit my 1.5 ton digger and mini chipper in it at the same time, it followed the truck perfectly, didn'tmindo being overloaded or sitting above the motorway speed limit.

I also have a 14x 6 flat bed and if I could only have 1 it would be that as I like the space and being able to move vehicles. But for tree work the 10x5 tipper is THE trailer to have! Sod it, eBay here I come..

• Like 1