Resin wood tables

Steve Bullman

Hi all I just had a conversation with a guy at easy composites very helpful and a resin called XCR is what he recommended for tables as it can go outside so big spalted beech tables for the patio sounds good , it’s used on boat decks , but for river tables that go inside it’s casting resin , just wish it was cheaper.

Cheers Mark

Being able to use non durable woods outside sounds good Mark. I guess if you can find the right market you can just charge enough to cover the costs of the resin. Unique comes at a price. I say this but never managed it myself haha

I see Easy composites do cheaper casting resin but I guess the expensive ones are suitable for large areas. Used West system but if you make too large a pool you get all sorts of problems as the drying is an exothermic reaction so the bigger the pool the hotter it gets. Remember mixing up several litres of out of date resin just to see what would happen (well away from anything flammable). Didn't quite catch fire but had plumes of smoke and a melted mixing container ?

Edited by Woodworks
  • Haha 1

Ha I very rarely find people who want to pay for unique so you are not alone there but I live in hope , but I tend to make things and put them in my shop at my workshop and  at shows and just wait for someone to buy it not doing many shows at the mo recovering from my accident and need more advertising as not many customers at our shop 

Cheers Mark

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:01, muttley9050 said:

Anybody got a good recommendation of a resin brand to use. Always struggled with air bubbles when I have dabbled with small bits in the past.

Try Easy composites I use their water clear casting resin in my spheres, but they do resin specifically for deeper castings, tables, flooring, paths and everything else.

Sphere11.jpg

Try Easy composites I use their water clear casting resin in my spheres, but they do resin specifically for deeper castings, tables, flooring, paths and everything else.
Sphere11.thumb.jpg.d577ac60108830bac487adcd84e33e99.jpg

I may have said it before but these look very cool. Have you done any with a the light built in?

I have put a small led in the stand on one or two, it didn't look too bad, I think I need to cast a couple with less pigment in to get the full effect. I have yet to cast one with an LED actually in the timber as this causes issues when turning - work in progress....

No not at the mo, several people have said it would be a good idea though. Something I must get around to. Hoping to be able to devote more time to wood when I retire late next year. Having a decent on line business takes a lot of upkeep to make it work well and as I work full time it doesn't leave much spare time.

26 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

No not at the mo, several people have said it would be a good idea though. Something I must get around to. Hoping to be able to devote more time to wood when I retire late next year. Having a decent on line business takes a lot of upkeep to make it work well and as I work full time it doesn't leave much spare time.

Please let us know on here when you do. I might buy one.