Which Chainsaw for a large felled Spruce?

Malco

16 hours ago, Malco said:

Hi,
I have a chainsaw dilemma. I recently had a 90 year old spruce felled. Most of the branches have been cut into lengths no longer than 12 inches diameter. However the trunk, which is 20-30 feet long varies in diameter from 2ft 6" to 5ft 6"

Surely you meant to say 20-30 yards

You own a woodland too?
Get a 70cc saw, stihl 461 or husky 72.
You'll need a 25" bar minimum.
Helmet boots trousers gloves,
Combi can ,felling bar, wedges, winch, ropes etc.
Spare bar and chains, filing kit. Mix oil and chain oil.
A couple of grand should do it. Then it's about £750 for a course to use the saw safely.
Way better than getting a pro to do it.
[emoji12]

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If one needs a £750.00 course to learn to use a chainsaw safely,
one should not be using a chainsaw.
simples!
From 50 odd years of perplexed rueful observation and personal experience.
marcus

Where did you get your tickets?
A bus conductor?
[emoji23][emoji12]

Having used a chainsaw for 59-14 years=45 years,

no training, no tickets,

all self taught,

cutting mostly windthrown shit, that should take about a months training to master,with over all those years only a couple of probably tiredness related frights, but no injuries.

Some might call that luck, but I feel the statisticians would have cause to disagree, over that timespan.

Probably being somewhere on the autistic spectrum(with relatively poor interpersonal skills) ,always allowed me to intuitively see tension/compression and understand the hazards so presented, and naturally position myself so as to avoid it, the best way I can put it is "I can read a tree" standing or windthrown.

btw.

I in no way thought this was unusual behavouir,

until I observed others who could;

neither see the risk,

nor be told

nor taught.

nor never learned.

I can still inadvertently do stupid things/break things, but tend to focus once a chainsaw is in my grasp, simply because I  appreciate how potentially hazardous a chainsaw is.

Others do not.

They should not use chainsaws.

but Dunning-Kruger done got a lot to answer for. 

cheers

Marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, difflock said:

Having used a chainsaw for 59-14 years=45 years,

no training, no tickets,

all self taught,

Fairy Nuff but that's on your own land not FC or NT and not working for a firm with civils and domestic clients.

I was much the same for the first 20 years and then NPTC came along with chainsaw unit 16 on, 1991 I think, there was no question even then that it would be a licence to work. Mind I still work with a chap  of a bit younger age than me that has his old blue book but never registered the assessments.

Mind I've never had to present anything other than CSCS card

21 minutes ago, difflock said:

Probably being somewhere on the autistic spectrum(with relatively poor interpersonal skills) ,

I wonder if your handwriting is as bad as mine ;-)

• Like 2

Difflock ,
Truth be told, I spent 9 years working with chainsaws before taking my tickets. So I understand where you're coming from.
Especially after seeing the other guys on the course who'd never used a saw before.
Scary.
[emoji106]

• Like 2

RH, Dare I presume they all passed the course?

OSM

(i) Yes I only work to myself on our own ground, though I used to tidy up windthrown stuff, fell leaners/rotten tree hanging over public footpaths in the Riverside Park myself, and nobody said "boo" .

(ii) my handwriting was indeed plumb terrible, oddly post retirement, & less stressed perhaps?, it has improved.

It prob took me until I was near 40-45 to realize, or accept that others had,

how shall we say,

entirely different hazard perception & avoidance* skills to those I took for granted. 

cheers

mth

Like being somewhat=very drunk in a billet one night and attempting to contrive an air-burst Thunderflash, by using a Schermuly flare as a launch tube, but despite the copious amount of my drunkenness, I wisely desisted.

Edited by difflock

Thanks Commando but I suspect the cost of am arborist for a day on a remote island would be significant?
Thanks The tool nut but there is no means to get a woodmizer on the island ( only a 13 foot dinghy access).
Thanks The Hungry squirrel but the tree is in the north of scotland.

No dearer than buying a saw... why didn't you just pay for the guy to cut it up when he felled it? Someone with no experience cutting off small chunks is going to end up with an injury, don't know how you'd manage it but sounds like kick back city. However if you are insistent buy a second hand saw off eBay

53 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Difflock ,
Truth be told, I spent 9 years working with chainsaws before taking my tickets. So I understand where you're coming from.
Especially after seeing the other guys on the course who'd never used a saw before.
Scary.
emoji106.png

Agreed approx 30 yrs using saws before I did any tickets all private jobs , it was only when I got a chance to go subbing for one of the uk,s biggest forestry company's that I had to do the tickets , and yes I did learn something all thou not a lot but some things that I was doing i lernt  a easier or quicker way , now a days i see lads using saws and they look like they are shit scared of it and in my book there the ones who will be paying the hospital a visit , some guys who have got tickets imo will never be able to use a saw swiftly and safely ,as long as they have a hole in there a__e .

• Like 2