Pension Planning

donnk

Just make sure that the house and environment where they are is going to be where they want to be for the next 12-15 years at least as you don't want to do the work only for them to want to move or having to move down to changing circumstances in health or family/friends moving.

Work out the total costs of the improvements and then work out how long they need to stay put to break even and then make a gain on the work you do - make sure you include any servicing/maintenance costs of having the work done. Don't forget that any costs incurred could have been invested and produce an income that may have given the ability to pay towards their utility bills.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Vespasian said:

If they done well with their pensions then why should they worry about utility bills?..

and I wish you wouldn't go on about subsidies...   thats not something you get for free, its my fkin electric bill paying for your in laws home improvements...

Next time I get an electric bill I aught turn up at their semi and demand they pay some of my bill, see how that goes down..

I'll make sure they specify welsh electric users only.

I may turn up and demand some of my English tax that subsidises you welsh!

• Like 1

Good effort Donnk - I have built a off-grid project , and if retirement ever looms it won't cost much to keep. Frankly it SHOULD add value to the home but in yr case I think the benefit is actual to yr parents, without the End concerns . K

I am not sure whether the capital cost of the disruption of installing a ground source will be more cost effective due to the slightly more efficient conversion, than modern air source pumps which have become a lot more efficient and are cheaper to install.

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/air-source-heat-pumps-vs-ground-source-heat-pumps/

Of all the things I have done, I think that the solar tubes have been one of the most efficient and reliable.

I went on an installer's course in Wales and that saved a lot of the capital cost of the forty tubes on our garage roof. 

https://www.navitron.org.uk/

Need another cylinder, pump and pipes to the tubes, but basically on sun power for a lot of the year.

• Like 1

I fancy installing evacuated tubes for our solar domestic hot water supply, unfortunately despite choosing to fit a 210 litre hot cylinder when I plumbed the house in 1996, I did not have the foresight to pick a hot cylinder with a second indirect coil suitable for solar input, though I understand a "Willis" type solarsypthon will do the same job.

Though, when I crunched the numbers in 2016, it was uneconomic, in comparison to the(measured) very small amount of kero we burn over the summer heating the hot water.

marcus

• Like 1

I fancy installing evacuated tubes for our solar domestic hot water supply, unfortunately despite choosing to fit a 210 litre hot cylinder when I plumbed the house in 1996, I did not have the foresight to pick a hot cylinder with a second indirect coil suitable for solar input, though I understand a "Willis" type solarsypthon will do the same job.
Though, when I crunched the numbers in 2016, it was uneconomic, in comparison to the(measured) very small amount of kero we burn over the summer heating the hot water.
marcus

I have the cylinder (300L thermal heat bank) already to go with the low level coil. I have south facing roof space. Are the Evac tube solar thermal systems still viable? Everyone I talk to steers me towards PV.
Wonder what the payback figures look like and whether prices have dropped like PV gear?

With our RHI Scheme no longer open, I have not enquired re the PV set-up.

Being disgusted by the incompetant twerps "accredited" to install under a previous grant scheme, and charging inflated prices to balls it up,

I was simply going to install a hot water kit myself, & stuff the grants.

mth

• Like 1