Ebay/PayPal fees

eggsarascal

17 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Can someone tell me what the combined fess are when something is sold on eBay using PayPal?

The item I want to buy is £1,200. What will the seller pay for this?

If it's beneficial I could collect it paying cash.

He would much prefer cash on collection all day long !

5 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Yep, I get that. If it is 14% as swinny suggests that works out at £168 in fees. I'll collect it with cash and knock the best part of 200 quid off the deal.

Sounds like a plan Eggs . You can swerve the paypal fees if just sending money for something not Ebay related . I have to do it for my wife all the time when she buys horsey stuff .  You need to select send money to friends or family instead on for goods or service . Then the recipient doesn't get charged paypal fees . You get no cover though if the goods are faulty or not as described .

Ebay are getting very clever at cracking down on fee avoidance.  Paying with cash will of course avoid the PayPal fees, but you might find that the seller is still charged the 10% ebay fee no matter how you pay.  Even if the sale is not completed through ebay and the item is cancelled before ending they are still allowed to charge their fee.

You might have noticed that a lot of listings no longer have phone numbers in the details.  This is part of the ebay plan to avoid people completing sales outside ebay and so avoiding fees.  It is now against ebay listing policies to include contact details.

I think it is all a bit cheaky - after all when browsing ebay you are bombarded with banner ads etc, and there is a small fee for listing every single item.  And yet they clobber you for 10% of the selling price as well.  It is a genius business model....

2 hours ago, Squaredy said:

there is a small fee for listing every single item.

Is there? I get 100 free listings every month (not that I use them)

Any auction charges around 10% and plenty charge more. Get your head around that and ebay is a great place to sell when you consider the size of the audience. I have the odd hiccup with ebay and once or twice I have had people try to scam me but none have yet in 15 years of using ebay.

As for paypal charges http://www.clothnappytree.com/ppcalculator/ is a useful tool