Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Arboricultural Association

Arborists reminded of OPM hazard

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, tree-fancier123 said:

excellent - maybe a shame to use chemicals, but they do look nasty bugs, better to intervene

 

maybe on a smaller scale - climbers with PA1/PA6 knapsack application

400% increase on tree numbers with nests even with spraying over the last three years.

 

Knapsacks ain't gonna cut it here!

 

Biggest issue we potentially have being under a Plant Health Care notice is how we manage vulnerable other Lepidoptera species.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure that in the process of working out a plan you researched what, if anything, other counties do.

 

For instance Paris and Berlin have big parks, do they take any action?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, David Humphries said:

Knapsacks ain't gonna cut it here

if  people have a big infested oak in their garden, no access, couldn't they pay someone to go up with a knapsack and zap them? maybe one of these machines for inaccessible areas

Screenshot_20180428_125207.thumb.png.103cb4a162f587f1e1fd214c31d19455.png

Edited by tree-fancier123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I’m sure that in the process of working out a plan you researched what, if anything, other counties do.

 

For instance Paris and Berlin have big parks, do they take any action?

Yes, there has been lots of attendance at training, seminars, planning, guidance and interaction groups with local tree officer associations, FC pathologists and tree managers/arbs that deal/dealt with it in the earlier outbreaks across northern Europe.

 

Our hands are tied at the moment by legislation, but hopeful we will be given freer reign over how we manage it in the coming years, targeting high risk areas/situations and trees rather than a blanket approach.

 

Not sure what the big European municipal authorities are doing with their OPM management currently.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

if  people have a big infested oak in their garden, no access, couldn't they pay someone to go up with a knapsack and zap them? maybe one of these machines for inaccessible areas

Screenshot_20180428_125207.thumb.png.103cb4a162f587f1e1fd214c31d19455.png

Not sure what you know about OPM management? But it's more a case of the pesticide getting total leaf coverage rather than zapping the actual caterpillars. 

Probably only get good canopy coverage on small to medium sized canopy trees with a back pack rig like that.

 

Suspect it wouldn't be very efficient on large canopy trees.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, David Humphries said:

Probably only get good canopy coverage on small to medium sized canopy trees with a back pack rig like that.

 

Suspect it wouldn't be very efficient on large canopy trees.

 

yes - unless someone on the ground is refilling for them and they climb the tree as if it was being reduced - can't see many homeowners spending £200 plus to get  a tree sprayed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Humphries said:

This years spraying across the site starts in a week or so   :confused:

 

IMG_1980.thumb.JPG.dc0a60a40446272d010dfb56725affe3.JPG

 

IMG_9795.thumb.JPG.c920d6e3a05d3df60cc9e1cfca18f4fb.JPG

 

IMG_9835.thumb.JPG.77dc5f377a5630e1213ce672a8f40e70.JPG

 

IMG_2187.thumb.JPG.61e0c3c56d6f41aa620843d12d4557c0.JPG

 

 

 

 

That spray looks like it’s going to go everywhere on anything but the calmest of days, and even then some.  What controls are put in place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve Bullman said:

That spray looks like it’s going to go everywhere on anything but the calmest of days, and even then some.  What controls are put in place?

Steve, this rig is only used on calm dry days (which can be a logistical issue) and is spraying a bacterial insecticide Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) which is not chemical. It targets the bacteria in the guts of Lepitoptera (caterpillar) species. Its not an issue in terms of Human hazard.

In terms of control, 'we' manage the public around the contractors (like we would do with any contractors with big plant/vehicles) and sometimes spray in to the late evening if the spray area has a heavy footfall. Also start early morning and keep some sites locked.

 

The misting sprayer with this rig is surprisingly well directed over the target canopy.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, David Humphries said:

Steve, this rig is only used on calm dry days (which can be a logistical issue) and is spraying a bacterial insecticide Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) which is not chemical. It targets the bacteria in the guts of Lepitoptera (caterpillar) species. Its not an issue in terms of Human hazard.

In terms of control, 'we' manage the public around the contractors (like we would do with any contractors with big plant/vehicles) and sometimes spray in to the late evening if the spray area has a heavy footfall. Also start early morning and keep some sites locked.

 

The misting sprayer with this rig is surprisingly well directed over the target canopy.

 

 

Hi David

 

I'm guessing that would take out all caterpillars rather than selectively just the OPM ?  No chance of seeing any Purple Hairstreak for the next few years then ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.