What brush cutter and head?

Woodworks

My nephew has a couple of acres of overgrow ground that is covered in long grass and 1" saplings. He is looking to clear the area and presumable keep it tidy in the future.  Dont think he has much kit at present so any advise as to what he should get would be great. If it makes any difference to machine availability he is in Canada. Thanks

Get a machine that's 40cc plus, Stihl FS460 is a good bet and what most people round here seem to use.

Unfortunately the best brushcutter I've ever owned is no longer made, but if you can get hold of a Kawasaki KBH43 in good condition secondhand they're brilliant :)

Probably need a couple of heads, a 3 pronged grass knife and then a clearing saw head (bit like a circular saw).

• Like 1

Shame you cant still buy the Swing Cut heads. That would cut grass and wood but I am sure they vanished from the market for safety reasons.

Hmmm found this over the pond so he might be able to get one https://www.amazon.com/Weed-Warrior-WWBC3BH-Brush-Cutter/dp/B001P2MWIA#customerReviews

Edited by Woodworks

I use an Oregon mulching blade with the turned down ends for the more "woody stuff "  and an Oregon " Jet Fit head "  with 4mm dia square line for nettles , bramble and thick green veg .  You need 45cc or more as has been said . Mine is a Husqvarna 545RX  .

IMG_20170619_180519.jpg

IMG_20170619_180545.jpg

• Like 1

To be fair to it it does look a bit " mullered " but it functions fine . Not even had to change the springs and little jaws inside . Just give them a squirt of WD now and again . It is a 4 line head but I only fit 2 lines in the lower slots . I use a 4 line because it keeps the nut recessed  and wont dig into the ground . With a 2 line it would protrude . The plastic cone that coers the nut flies off almost immediately , usually never to be seen again !