Rats in the roofspace

difflock

I had mice in my attic and in the void between the living room and the floor of my daughter's bedroom. I settled on buying a Pest Bye rat and mouse repeller on Amazon for about £25 or so. Absolutely brilliant. Didn't take long to shift them and a few months ago I took it to my workshop and its cured the mice problem up there. They haven't even returned to my attic after about 6 months of not using it in the house. If they did I would just go and buy another one and leave the workshop one in place.

Mike

Edited by Mike Dempsey

13 hours ago, Treewolf said:

In some regions it could be Glisglis not rats. Just as destructive, and just as hard if not harder to get rid of.

Very common in the Chilterns.

So I hear, we occasionally have a problem with them out here (where they’re properly native) they even got really bold and got into the kitchen to steal from the fruit bowl.

They're arboreal so roof space comes naturally.

There are dedicated poisons out here which did the job.

We also had a pine marten living under the bath, but that’s a different story.

52 minutes ago, difflock said:

thanks all, having recently got a set of stairs put in to access the roofspace, the cat can now get up there, I will also place rat poison and those named above Fenn traps.

thanks again

marcus

You'll soon have a three legged cat if you let it up there with a set fenn trap!

9 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

So I hear,

We also had a pine marten living under the bath, but that’s a different story.

I want to hear the different story Mick .  I like all those animals in that family  Badgers through down to Stotes and Weasels

• Like 1

Moi aussi, as a young ferreter I’ve always been fascinated by the mustelids. I even saw a wild polecat here a few years back.

So we moved into the house here and had no money to renovate so had to endure what was already here.

One evening I was sitting in the bath in a bathroom that always smelt a bit and looked up the wall to a hole in the plasterboard and noticed for the first time some sets of paw prints ? leading up to it.

Pulling out the boards around the bath and some false wall revealed a midden with hundreds of turds, and the source of the ferret cage like smell!

He/she had moved out as soon as we moved in. 

Theyre not not uncommon here at all, not often seen, unless dead on the road, but considered a pest, which in a way is a good sign!

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Moi aussi, as a young ferreter I’ve always been fascinated by the mustelids. I even saw a wild polecat here a few years back.

So we moved into the house here and had no money to renovate so had to endure what was already here.

One evening I was sitting in the bath in a bathroom that always smelt a bit and looked up the wall to a hole in the plasterboard and noticed for the first time some sets of paw prints ? leading up to it.

Pulling out the boards around the bath and some false wall revealed a midden with hundreds of turds, and the source of the ferret cage like smell!

He/she had moved out as soon as we moved in. 

Theyre not not uncommon here at all, not often seen, unless dead on the road, but considered a pest, which in a way is a good sign!

Thanks Mick . I had a " Gill " Polecat Ferret cross that was a pet more than anything . She used to run up and down the stairs and I was always amazed at how fast she could run into a wellie boot head first and be looking out of the top within a nano second !  She was cream and brown with dark eyes . I was only 15 at the time but I loved her .

23 hours ago, Treewolf said:

In some regions it could be Glisglis not rats. Just as destructive, and just as hard if not harder to get rid of.

Very common in the Chilterns.

Are they still a protected species ?

All ferrets are polecats, just some are albinos. (Afaik)

I had two, Conan a big polecat and Danny an albino. I was obsessed with ferreting.

Me and my mate Gary (who is also a tree guy) used to go out most weekends as lads.

I did have a young Jill “Red Sonja” but my Jack Russell got her.

Bastard.