Pulling forces

what sort of pulling weight are we talking about needing with winches? i'm thinking of 8ft lengths of softwood trunks for milling

def nothing more than 2ft DBH, spruce, larch, pine.
i've been using my pick up with shackle but getting deeper into the woods is starting to cause access problems. thinking trifor 1250 kg pulling would be sufficient on level ground?
  • Like 1

Rated pull and rated lift are not always the same KN force, depending on winch. Tirfor are rated for deadlift, which IIRC is 2.5 times "pull" - and the standard pull based on a concrete block of a given weight pulled across a flat concrete floor. Then there is gradient, friction, angle of pull etc. US Army field manual Vehicle Recovery is useful for tables and so on

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

I've recently bought a Yale 1.6 ton tirfor style cable puller winch.
Works great, solid bit of kit.
Pulled a 25" oak trunk (2-3ton) off a bridleway inch by inch.
Very slow, but did the job.

I have a Yale . Next one up from that . Kin heavy !but works well .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billpierce said:

That's why a lugall is amazing!

Like most things its horses for courses.

.While they both do the same thing depending on the job i would chose different winches

I have to admit only got copies of both tirfor and lugall type winches (and the lugall copies were paticularly cheap an nasty)

But if ur doubling up ur wire rope throu a snatch block u don't have an awful lot to play with on a lugall type, esp by the time u tension it up. But it is a lot lighter/handier on jobs where u don't need to pull it very far.

But pulled me quad out of a hole quire a few times

To be honest it would depend on how far ur pulling them and how often.

From the OP 1st post i'm guessing quite a few quite often.

Personally i would be looking at something mechanical. Either way tirfor or lugall thats a lot of pumping to get ur timber out 1" at a time

Can use the vehicle ur forwarding thw timber with?

Clever use of some bolcks as redirects and drive the vehicle along some hard ground pulling the timber.

Even try to get ur block tied up high in a tree somehow so like a mini skyline and lifting the log as well as pulling it.

Either that or get some sort of capstan type r chainsaw winch, but usually not cheap

• Like 2

Like most things its horses for courses.

.While they both do the same thing depending on the job i would chose different winches
I have to admit only got copies of both tirfor and lugall type winches (and the lugall copies were paticularly cheap an nasty)
But if ur doubling up ur wire rope throu a snatch block u don't have an awful lot to play with on a lugall type, esp by the time u tension it up. But it is a lot lighter/handier on jobs where u don't need to pull it very far.
But pulled me quad out of a hole quire a few times

To be honest it would depend on how far ur pulling them and how often.
From the OP 1st post i'm guessing quite a few quite often.
Personally i would be looking at something mechanical. Either way tirfor or lugall thats a lot of pumping to get ur timber out 1" at a time

Can use the vehicle ur forwarding thw timber with?
Clever use of some bolcks as redirects and drive the vehicle along some hard ground pulling the timber.
Even try to get ur block tied up high in a tree somehow so like a mini skyline and lifting the log as well as pulling it.
Either that or get some sort of capstan type r chainsaw winch, but usually not cheap

Cheers everyone. Gonna soldier on with pick up van shackle and rope. When gets impractical will buy capstan portable winch