Replacement axles ST6

Gary Prentice

No. They have a suspension arm with rubber inserts around the pivot point, which act as a damper (kind of) These have deformed and thrown the camber out on the wheel. 

Im told they’re press-fitted and not replaceable, by a mechanic - he may be wrong. 

Dont really fancy paying £700-800 every couple of years simply due to our third world local roads

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

No. They have a suspension arm with rubber inserts around the pivot point, which act as a damper (kind of) These have deformed and thrown the camber out on the wheel. 

Im told they’re press-fitted and not replaceable, by a mechanic - he may be wrong. 

I doubt he is wrong but that is not a problem we had, I replaced an axle on a Greenmech when the bearing collapse and sent a wheel down the M25 in rush hour.

1 hour ago, Gary Prentice said:

Dont really fancy paying £700-800 every couple of years simply due to our third world local roads

These axles tend to be standard Avonride and even if not one will be available to fit. Last one was a 1500kg one for a bowser and that cost £264+Vat in March 16 cw carriage and that was from a trailer manufacturer in Cheshire

12 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I doubt he is wrong but that is not a problem we had, I replaced an axle on a Greenmech when the bearing collapse and sent a wheel down the M25 in rush hour.

These axles tend to be standard Avonride and even if not one will be available to fit. Last one was a 1500kg one for a bowser and that cost £264+Vat in March 16 cw carriage and that was from a trailer manufacturer in Cheshire

I can’t remember where I got the prices from, but I’m pretty sure I was told over £600 + Vat, when Forst sent us the HD axle (FOC)

thanks, I’ll look at the avonride axles.

3 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

I can’t remember where I got the prices from, but I’m pretty sure I was told over £600 + Vat, when Forst sent us the HD axle (FOC)

These axles usually have the type and serial number on  the square axle tube. I found it was cheaper to buy the axle from a trailer manufacturer rather than direct from Knott- Avonride and it seldom pays to buy from Forst or GM as they simply buy from OEM suppliers and mark up accordingly.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gary Prentice said:

You should be able to get the make off the hub centre cap and find out the kg rating. Could well be an Alko axle.

Even with uk roads  premium brand axles shouldn't need replacing every couple of years...

• Like 1

Don’t know where to say to source a axle, but our old st6 scrubbed  tyres out, our st8 has had a new axle as it sat drunk was about a inch n half lower one side! Some one at forst admitted they had problems with the axle mount deforming slightly and the newer ones have had the design changed slightly, that may be worth checking out if it’s a repeat problem.