Thanks to MattyF a golden Orb

Lazurus

4 hours ago, Lazurus said:

Ok so now the orb has a plinth, I am not happy with the shape but it does work. Small led torch in the stem as a light source. I think it's cool but the stand needs to be less cotton reel more natural methinks.

I don't know - I really like it.  The burr gives you the naturalness, the sphere gives you mathematical perfection: I think your simple, well balanced plinth manages to contrast with both of these elements and really show the orb off.   

11 hours ago, Mesterh said:

Looks brilliant:thumbup1: £30 sounds more than reasonable, I thought you were going to say £50+

As I don't make a living at this just covering costs and a bit for my time, besides you haven't seen it close up lol.

Well I had a go at burls cast in resin and produced the below, my first attempt at castin resin, I intend to make a small plinth with a light source to show off the burl within. Something different. Thanks to Matt for the Burrs
Sphere1.thumb.jpg.0cf584ddcd914a8c95ca0101ef8722b2.jpg
Sphere4.thumb.jpg.fb439853ff7359782407a7a683ebcef4.jpg
Sphere6.thumb.jpg.d339f597052ce97ebab96fc8f17b6a1d.jpg
Sphere2.thumb.jpg.f89ba5030b8d841261f13dce11dfd484.jpg
Hi Lazurus. Great piece of work there. It looks beautiful.
I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind. How did you achieve such a perfect sphere? Did you turn the burr and then use a mould for the resin? Or did you cast it first and then put the whole lot on the lathe? Also, what kind of resin is it? Looks very transparent.
Thanks
Simon

Hi Lazarus those. Orbs are so cool one thing that resin is ultra toxic so a better dust mask I have C O P D from spray painting when I left school and it’s not good I have some burs and interesting off cuts 

P M if you are interested in a deal wish I could use a lathe , but hey now I am recovering from a broken ankle maybe I could set mine up and just sit at it and have a go anybody got any wood turning chisels they don’t want I would give them a home , for a dust mask I have a Trend Airshield Pro best £200 spent .

Take Care.  Mark

22 hours ago, sime42 said:

Hi Lazurus. Great piece of work there. It looks beautiful.
I've got a couple of questions if you don't mind. How did you achieve such a perfect sphere? Did you turn the burr and then use a mould for the resin? Or did you cast it first and then put the whole lot on the lathe? Also, what kind of resin is it? Looks very transparent.
Thanks
Simon

I use Easy composites water clear resin, its the best for what I do with a fairly long open time so I don't need to rush. I vacuum the bubbles out and cast in a pressure pot to squish any that are left, it seems to work well.

I hot glue the burrs to the bottom of a yogurt pot and use that as a mold, the missus loves yogurt so always a few about, if not a quick mold can be made from correx card. I have a sphere jig for the lathe but with resin it is not so accurate as its a difficult material to turn well, so I finish off by eye then its lots of sanding and polishing, pleased though.