MOT changes May 2018

eggsarascal

51 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

So there'l be no PG9 for private vehicles slapped on them?

Mind I find it quite strange that my "sports" car will no longer need an MOT.

Since when does a garage issue tickets?

There has be NO change in the law.

There has been a change how you will be informed of the condition of your vehicle.

That's all.

It has always been illegal to drive a vehicle either to or from an mot or with an mot IF it is dangerous. Up till now it has been easy to claim that you did not know it was dangerous. Now with the new method even a fool can't claim that.

You could fail an mot for a rear seat belt but it would still be safe to drive with no rear passengers. But if like yours it failed for a fucked tyre it should not be on the road even if it does have a valid mot. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Justme said:

Not sure where the reply I made yesterday went.

Explain what?

The car failed its mot with a dangerous fault & you drove it home illegally.

Just the same as will happen under the new method.

Explain what on earth you are talking about.

The vehicle passed its test, (see the picture I posted). How can it pass a test and have an advisory that clearly states one of the tyres dangerous?

Would it be fair to assume that "joe public" would think it was ok to drive that vehicle away from the test centre considering it's just passed its MOT?

Edited by eggsarascal

21 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Explain what on earth you are talking about.

The vehicle passed its test, (see the picture I posted). How can it pass a test and have an advisory that clearly states one of the tyres dangerous?

Would it be fair to assume that "joe public" would think it was ok to drive that vehicle away from the test centre considering it's just passed its MOT?

I actually missed it was a pass. 

But again that has nothing to do with the changes that are coming.

PS lots of things are not in the test or can't be tested due to no access but can be dangerous.

2 minutes ago, Justme said:

I actually missed it was a pass. 

But again that has nothing to do with the changes that are coming.

PS lots of things are not in the test or can't be tested due to no access but can be dangerous.

This is correct. Lots of vehicles have under body plastics, or DPF's that stop the tester checking if there are faults.

The new test will include checking if the brake fluid is deteriorating. How's that going to work when the tester can't remove the cap to check it?

You can argue until you are blue in the face that the law isn't changing, (which I didn't claim, anyway). Law/legislation, eu directive, call it what you want.

The rules are changing, and I can see people getting caught out by it.

10 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

This is correct. Lots of vehicles have under body plastics, or DPF's that stop the tester checking if there are faults.

The new test will include checking if the brake fluid is deteriorating. How's that going to work when the tester can't remove the cap to check it?

You can argue until you are blue in the face that the law isn't changing, (which I didn't claim, anyway). Law/legislation, eu directive, call it what you want.

The rules are changing, and I can see people getting caught out by it.

But thats the thing the rules are not changing.

They are testing new things, they are recording the faults in a different way.

But the law was & still is that it was illegal to drive it if it did not meet the basic safety standards ie it was dangerous.

People read that you can drive to & from an mot test with no valid mot & think that applies to it no matter how shitty or dangerous the car is. 

This just makes it much clearer that you cant drive it if it is dangerous.

So less people should get caught out.

Edited by Justme

5 minutes ago, Justme said:

But thats the thing the rules are not changing.

They are testing new things, they are recording the faults in a different way.

But the law was & still is that it was illegal to drive it if it did not meet the basic safety standards ie it was dangerous.

People read that you can drive to & from an mot test with no valid mot & think that applies to it no matter how shitty or dangerous the car is. 

This juts makes it much clearer that you cant drive it if it is dangerous.

So less people should get caught out.

You contradict yourself. You say the rules aren't changing, then go on to say they are testing for different things. I'm sorry to disagree with you, but the Gov website seems to suggest that there are being changes made.

3. What's changing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-special-notice-01-18-inspection-manual-and-in-service-emission-data/mot-special-notice-01-18-inspection-manual-and-in-service-emission-data

7 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

You contradict yourself. You say the rules aren't changing, then go on to say they are testing for different things. I'm sorry to disagree with you, but the Gov website seems to suggest that there are being changes made.

3. What's changing.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-special-notice-01-18-inspection-manual-and-in-service-emission-data/mot-special-notice-01-18-inspection-manual-and-in-service-emission-data

Let it go Mr Egg, read a book!  Justme knows his onions!  Get a new van and be done with it....  :D  

• Thanks 1