My splicing attempts

old snake

Nice work carl,looks smart. Not spliced hrt,how's it compare to bee line?

I'll send that pm again later too mate,been away this weekend so not been on here.

Sorry buddy I didn't see your post, I prefer the Beeline, the cover on the hrt fluffs up and makes it harder to make it look nice and neat.

im still yet to master a 16 strand, i took one more pair of cover strands out then they all frayed where they were cut and i couldnt get them back in inside! really tried and couldnt manage!

however i seem to find double braid splices on ropes such as doubble esterlon a breeze! ones like poison ivy get a bit stiff! got some blaze ill have a go of too when i get more time.

Did you cut the cover strands as you pulled them out? The instructions I follow suggest pulling the strands out but not cutting until they are about to disappear back into the rope. This helps every thing keep it's shape.

Yeah I pull them out then cut them. Then try and shove it all back in. I struggle to get rope to attach to the fid properly. It's a treeworker one. Any special technique?

If I understand what you mean, this should help:

1.jpg.dc0c6296e9e6fc9cd7bfe9786d6501bd.jpg

Cover taperd ready to insert.

fid.jpg.3d64db20961924be93e9fabfc4694412.jpg

The fid I use is just some 1mm fencing wire, I will be getting some piano wire soon.

start.jpg.5922eca00123fcc344afedfa0218827c.jpg

Rope in fid, if you have too much trapped in the wire it just makes it harder to pull through. I find as it is in the picture is about right.

5.jpg.34c257ef06f02d799a0a222a0220e696.jpg

Only cut the strands off when they are ready to disapear into the rope.

4.jpg.c1685718037ea698fb9bcd7086bdb5d9.jpg

3.jpg.20433774b5faa9fe4b64275cf85ac787.jpg

And so on....

The instructions I follow can be found here:

http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/16S_C1_EyeSpl.pdf

Hope this helps.

Hi all

Looking at the picture above I would be only removing 9 strands from the rope not 10. The inner core of XTC is slightly bigger than Arbormaster or New england, leaving that extra strand in the bury creates the same size core as you have taken out so the splice is the same size down the length of the rope. It does however make it abit tighter pulling it through, but if you taper the end that goes in the fid you should pull it through no problem.

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...

Tidy! Is the ropeguide spliced with the core removed method? If it is, do you perform the tapers to the buried part differently? Or do you still remove the same number of strands? Cheers, Ben

Yeap I removed core and then removed 9 strands for the initial taper and then tapered again for the crossover bury so that when the new core/s pull against each other it becomes smooth with no bumps..if that makes sense? kinda hard to explain.. hope it makes sense :)