My splicing attempts

old snake

ive still nto managed with the 16 strand, ive got the wire fids from treeworker, but the loops on the end dont fit into the rope so i have to squeeze them in a bit to make apoint. When i get to where the core is sticking out i can get maybe another inch through but thats it, nothing else will happen!

really fustrating!

any help/tips?

It sounds like your inserting the wrong end of the fid mate. The rings are or anchoring the fid after you've folded it half. Here's a couple of pics.

Nice work the John mate:thumbup1:. Looks like some of your skins left on those ropes mate:001_tongue:.

It looks like you had a bunching issue on the first one which caused it to go baggy and a nightmare to bury.

P1040796.jpg.ebfb7a68fb4faf8e2de1a4a62eacc6ee.jpg

P1040795.jpg.fd9994dbf3abf8cd809b176cac8e8996.jpg

It sounds like your inserting the wrong end of the fid mate. The rings are or anchoring the fid after you've folded it half. Here's a couple of pics.

Nice work the John mate:thumbup1:. Looks like some of your skins left on those ropes mate:001_tongue:.

It looks like you had a bunching issue on the first one which caused it to go baggy and a nightmare to bury.

stitching the crossover of the 2nd one really helped mate

my hands are sore now

thanks guys, i knew it was a rookie mistake!

if only some of you lived closer up here id be begging for some one on one splicing tips!

old snake how have you anchored the end of the rope to the fid for pulling through?

Ill buy some clean 16 strand and have a go at it when it arrives, still got plenty time to practice!

Amazing patience :thumbup: I gave up trying even with the three strand years ago . My customers pay for any of my spliced ropes . Regards Paul .

thanks guys, i knew it was a rookie mistake!

if only some of you lived closer up here id be begging for some one on one splicing tips!

old snake how have you anchored the end of the rope to the fid for pulling through?

Ill buy some clean 16 strand and have a go at it when it arrives, still got plenty time to practice!

If you look in the second pic you can see where the rope is fed into the fid. All you do then is cinch the fid down to where the core exits, then you want to trim a couple of the strands off so there's not so much mass to pull through. Then anchor the fid to something strong(i use a tree in my back yard). Then wrap the original core rund your right hand and grab the rope with your left hand. Then pull like a mother:biggrin:. If you've caught any strands as you've inserted the fid then though this process wont work well!! haha. Hope that makes sense?