Fitting hydraulic brakes to timber trailer

andy cobb

Due to having a contract coming up that requires us to move approx 200 ton of timber along the public highway I'm looking for options on adding some anchors onto the forwarding trailer.

was thinking of having a pair of braked stub axles fitted in place of the existing front stubs. 

Problem is if the ram assembly goes on top will the actuator rod be trapped when the axle pivots up and if it's underneath its stands a good chance of getting ripped off.

has anyone successfully converted there trailer or have any pictures of there brake assembly I could gain some inspiration from.

thanks in advance - Andy 

Can’t wait to see what’s replacing it!
Vertually the same but a 570tl crane to give me a little more reach, electro hydraulic controls so we don't have to lift a heavy valve block while doing a balancing act on the link arms and a little modification so we can drop the timber grab and fit a clam shell grab for loading chip and grindings.

Vertually the same but a 570tl crane to give me a little more reach, electro hydraulic controls so we don't have to lift a heavy valve block while doing a balancing act on the link arms and a little modification so we can drop the timber grab and fit a clam shell grab for loading chip and grindings.

What HP is your tractor towing the current set up John, and how does it handle it ? We are having a think about a swap around at the moment , whilst our 8tonne trailer on the 6400 is great in the woods for thinning and perfectly balanced in that respect ,neither the tractor or trailer are up to much towing a load back.

It's 150 hp but boosts to 160 something in top gears for road work, handles it no problem and feels very stable unlike when we had it on the massy. Never managed to had more than 9.5 ton on it over the scales which is nice to know your not overloading the rated capacity if these 11 ton units.
It's a long rig so thinning extraction can be a bit fun but pick your way carefully and it's manageable. Bonus is it can easily carry 2 bays of 2.5m so like last year when I was extracting from a mixed woodland I could get softwood chip on the front and Hardwood firewood on the back so avoiding going over the same ground twice.
Nothing like these botex for big Hardwood as the pins lift out from the edges so you can get bigger stuff than you can deadlift onto the bed and plop the pins back in easily. ef56698362f3d8107acfb0ca024b0b1d.jpg2d0211963d2f6f39c1d4f719121e0255.jpg

• Like 1